Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 26th, 2018, 02:13 AM

Both Firefox and Chrome taking up too much CPU

I can tell they're taking up the CPU memory because I go to task manager and while I don't run Firefox and Chrome at the same time, every time I run one of them, the Chrome or Firefox is listed many times in the task manager and the percentages by the Chrome or Firefox are the highest out of all the processes I've got running. I only have one browser and one window or tab open. It shouldn't appear more than once. I've tried suggestions I've found online but nothing helps. Tried changing settings on Chrome and Firefox but nothing. How do I get Chrome or Firefox to show up once on the task manager or get it to not take up so much CPU? I have a problem with this because it's messing up my audio on Youtube. The volume slowly gets quiet til you can barely hear it until you pause the video then you can play it again and it's fine but I'm tired of having to pause it and wait all the time.
Old February 26th, 2018, 09:46 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
disable any addons and see if they are the problem. also boot into safemode with network and see if you have the same problem.
Old February 28th, 2018, 01:01 AM

I already thought of disabling addons so I tried that. Didn't make a difference. Safe mode or not, the problem still persists. I did notice today that it's happening when music is playing like when I'm watching a music video or people are dancing to music. But if there's no music or once the music stops, there's no more issue. Does this mean anything?
Old March 4th, 2020, 01:19 PM
Banned

The most common causes for high CPU usage in your browser are too many apps running at the same time. Like browser extensions, which are small software packages that add functionality to your browser. The accumulated usage can drain your CPU (the brain of your computer), or your RAM (computer memory).