Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old August 16th, 2002, 06:53 PM

can Outlook be adjusted to receive in plain text only?

most of the time, junk Emails come in full html format to display ads. I know I can adjust outlook to send in plain text only format, but can I do the same for received Emails? so that I see all my Emails in text only? how please?
Old August 16th, 2002, 07:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

Good question, not sure if you can, however you can be sneaky and set up a Rule to search for something like </html> which you should only get in an HTML email and do something appropriate with it, but as far as I'm aware you can only view it in whatever mode it was sent in.
Old August 16th, 2002, 08:44 PM

yea, that's too bad. I used to use 'LingoMail' which is better than all microsoft products. LingoMail never opens 'any' atachments unless you decide to click on it. It displays all Emails as plain text only, treating any html content as attachment. Highly secure. The only drawback is that I couldnt figure out how to configure it to --send mail through an SMTP server that requires authentication--. That's why I had to use Outlook 2002 recently, unfortunately, with all its drawbacks.

Last edited by sallam; August 17th, 2002 at 07:42 PM.
Old August 17th, 2002, 05:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

what do you mean by get mail from a server that required authentication? Never come across a pop server that doesn't need you to authenticate via userame and password.
Old August 17th, 2002, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven.Bentley
what do you mean by get mail from a server that required authentication? Never come across a pop server that doesn't need you to authenticate via userame and password.
You are right, I've said it wrong. I meant 'send' mail, not get mail. I know all mail servers requires authentication to get your mail, but not all SMTP mail servers require authentication to send though them. In Lingomail, I didnt find such option available, not like Outlook or Outlook Express.
Old August 18th, 2002, 10:24 AM
CTH Subscriber

Does downloading mail directly before sending help at all?
Old August 20th, 2002, 01:51 AM

no, unfortunately...
Old August 21st, 2002, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven.Bentley
Good question, not sure if you can, however you can be sneaky and set up a Rule to search for something like </html> which you should only get in an HTML email and do something appropriate with it, but as far as I'm aware you can only view it in whatever mode it was sent in.
I've tried </html> and other tags, they dont work. I guess because they are only in the message source code, not in message body text?
Old August 21st, 2002, 04:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

hmm I'll admit I've never tried that suggestion Is there an option built in to filter based on whether it's text or HTML?
Old August 29th, 2002, 01:08 AM

Ok, I've found how, at last!
To enable the "Read as Plain Text" feature in Outlook 2002, you must first download and install Office 2002 service pack 1, from: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...-us/oxpsp1.exe
then, make the following additions to the system registry:

Click Start and then click Run. In the Open box, type regedit.
Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\O utlook\Options\Mail
On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWord Value.
With the new Dword selected, type ReadAsPlain.
Double-click to open the new value. In the Value Data box, type 1 and then click OK.

NOTE: "Read As Plain Text" is turned on and the BodyFormat property is locked at 1. (Help says it's read/write.) Any attempt to set it to another value will result in an error.
Click OK and then close the registry.

Changes That you Will Notice:
The setting applies to the preview pane as well as open messages.
Pictures become attachments to avoid their loss.
The object model (custom code solutions) may behave unexpectedly, because the note is still in Rich Text or HTML in the mail store.
Digitally signed messages are not altered.

I've tried this solution myself, and worked great. Now Outlook 2002 gets all my Emails in plain text format! I got this solution from Microsoft, at: http://support.microsoft.com/default...07594&sd=tech. The guys at Windows BBS gave me that useful link.

Thanks Steven.Bentley for your help.

Last edited by sallam; August 29th, 2002 at 02:32 AM.
Old August 29th, 2002, 09:07 PM
CTH Subscriber

Thanks for that, hadn't come across that