Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 10th, 2006, 11:32 PM

Problem With Lappy

Hi Guys and Gals, wonder if you can advise me. My Daughter and I recently bought Acer Aspire laptops the 3500 models. They have short batetry lives of about 2 hrs but mine only lasts half hour then tonight, my daughter was in the middle of using hers when it suddenly flashed up the message "preparing to hibernate" then shut down!! She has tried to start it up again but it won't have it so she took the battery off for about 15 mins and put it back in, still nothing, the thing is dead! Its plugged into the mains so it isn't a power thing. Can anyone suggest anything else it might be please?
Thanks in advance
MV xx
Old March 11th, 2006, 01:30 AM

hmmm the only thing i suggest is that u get a replacement battery because that should be covered under the warrenty since you just bought it recently. But of course, as with all my posts, i suggest that you get suggestions from other people as well
Old March 11th, 2006, 02:21 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
It sounds like a battery problem.
But just to be sure, follow these step to get into the power options to see what settings the battery is set for. To do this click start, control panel. performance and maintenacne, then click power options. You will see a time at which the computer will go into hibernate mode, if it is not in use. If the time appears to be set right and the computer was in use, and went out before it should have. Then the battery would need to be replaced and that should be covered under the warrenty plan.
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:48 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well you cannot check settings if the computer won't boot up?????

"She has tried to start it up again but it won't have it so she took the battery off for about 15 mins and put it back in, still nothing, the thing is dead."

That particular model is known for short battery life. As stated if you just purchased, it's under warranty and I would take it back. If it does not power up with the charger hooked up then there is a electrical problem within the laptop.

Old March 11th, 2006, 03:55 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
I know the battery doesn't work. But the external should still work and you can get into the power options still in the control panel.
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Hi Chaps, thanks for your replies. It's my battery that won't stay charged for more than 30 mins and my Daughters which won't re-power. Will check the power settings on mine but I think Daughters will have to go back under warranty. Many thanks again.
MV xx
Old March 11th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
hi
some laptops have a reset button under a real tiny hole.

30 minutes is probably reason enough to claim it cannot do what it was bought for. I would try a money back claim just for that.
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Thanks

Many thanks to all who replied with possible solutions. My Daughters lappy is now working OK because she discovered, to her embarrassment, that it was the plug on the mains which had failed - once she tried another outlet it was fine! LOL
I shall take mine back under warranty for a new battery
Many thanks to all
MV