Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 24th, 2003, 06:59 PM

Angry Access to file Denied

Hi,I got this problem, my"McAfee Virus Alert" came up with a file that can not be cleaned,and it says I should delet it,but when I try to a window says"make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use".I tryed McAfee web site but no luck their,The file is Adware-Wink.dr and is in my Windows system32 folder.Thanks I got great help here last time (Ann Marie )
Old August 25th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmarjo
Hi,I got this problem, my"McAfee Virus Alert" came up with a file that can not be cleaned,and it says I should delet it,but when I try to a window says"make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use".I tryed McAfee web site but no luck their,The file is Adware-Wink.dr and is in my Windows system32 folder.Thanks I got great help here last time (Ann Marie )
Boot up into safe mode and try to delete it from there. If that doesn't work click on the file and uncheck the read only attribute box if there's a checkmark in there and then try to delete it.
Old August 27th, 2003, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow32
Boot up into safe mode and try to delete it from there. If that doesn't work click on the file and uncheck the read only attribute box if there's a checkmark in there and then try to delete it.
hi, ok I looked into safe mode put cuold not find my way around it,can you give me a set by set instructions,also I went onto the file but did not have the option to check or uncheck any of the options(boxes where their but shaded gray)...........thnks,oh I also ran Adware6 but it did not get rid of that file or find that file.
Old August 27th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmarjo
hi, ok I looked into safe mode put cuold not find my way around it,can you give me a set by set instructions,also I went onto the file but did not have the option to check or uncheck any of the options(boxes where their but shaded gray)...........thnks,oh I also ran Adware6 but it did not get rid of that file or find that file.
You can follow these instructions from Norton's on how to remove an infected file from system restore,
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...106?Open&src=w

Another possibility is it's a dialer program. Run regedit and see if this key is in there HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run; Wink

Last edited by Rainbow32; August 27th, 2003 at 03:37 AM.
Old August 27th, 2003, 03:31 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow32
If it's in the restore folder in system32 then it's part of a system restore point. You can follow these instructions from Norton's on how to remove an infected file from system restore,
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...106?Open&src=w

Another possibility is it's a dialer program. Run regedit and see if this key is in there HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run; Wink
ok,kool I got it off,.....found my way into SafeMode,and got rid of that fileform their thanks Rainbow,you guys are great