Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old September 14th, 2006, 03:12 AM

Can't access internet through network cable

Hi guys,
I take my laptop from home where I'm on a wireless network, to work where I plug in with a blue network cable. I used to gain instant internet access when I plugged in the blue cable but now I don't.
I can however log in to a remote desktop connection to the work server when I am plugged in and use the internet that way.

I used to be able to use the internet by plugging straight in (until the IT guys came in to rebuild the server last week).

Another desktop computer in the office can work straight from the blue cable though. Is there a setting on my laptop I need to change or something?
Old September 14th, 2006, 05:42 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
You will have a local are connection, right click on it and go status and then to properties and select Tcp/ip and then properties. See that if both first options are set to autmoatic. IF only your company uses a DHCP server. If not then the configurations must be set up manually.

In both cases, since you can remote desktop that means your on the network. Now i told you abt setting both options to automatic. The second option are dns servers see if it has been changed or not. Also make sure abt the gateway. If you use DHCP then it probably not set properly ( IT guys came in to rebuild the server last week)on the server. If your connections manual you go to contact the IT guy at your place for the configurations
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldondsouza View Post
You will have a local are connection, right click on it and go status and then to properties and select Tcp/ip and then properties. See that if both first options are set to autmoatic. IF only your company uses a DHCP server. If not then the configurations must be set up manually.

In both cases, since you can remote desktop that means your on the network. Now i told you abt setting both options to automatic. The second option are dns servers see if it has been changed or not. Also make sure abt the gateway. If you use DHCP then it probably not set properly ( IT guys came in to rebuild the server last week)on the server. If your connections manual you go to contact the IT guy at your place for the configurations
oh yay, that is too easy! It does use a DHCP server and I just copied the config from the other computer in the office and it works perfectly! Thanks, you made that soooo simple.

PS> I had this problem like aaaaages ago and rang the IT guy and he was like saying it was my firewall and stuff.. ahhaa.. idiotsss..
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldondsouza View Post
Oh damn, I just realised that even though it got the internet working on my computer, it seems to prevent me from using the remote desktop function. Any idea why?
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
To what and how are you trying to connect?
Old September 18th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel122184 View Post
To what and how are you trying to connect?
ah, it's working now. I was using the exact same IP as the other computer whose config details I copied, and so I kept getting bumped off, now is all good.