Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:38 AM

Mouse & Keyboard and mouse stopped working after driver install

To start things off here's the specs of the computer I'm using -

Windows Vista Home Premium - Service Pack 2
Laptop
HPG50 Notebook PC
Logitech Cordless Desktop® LX 700 - M-RAK89B
3 GB RAM

The problem I'm having is that the wireless mouse and keyboard I have hooked up to my laptop through USB suddenly stopped working after installing a driver from this page (the one for the Samsung A740) and restarting my computer after the installation was complete.

The installation was a little weird though, it said a file was missing from a sub folder, but the files came in a single folder. I found the file it was looking for, created the sub folders, put the file in there and it finished the installation. I don't think it worked, but I'm not really concerned about the cell phone driver.

The keyboard and mouse built-in to my laptop work fine (thankfully) but I can't seem to get any USB mice or keyboards to work, I tired a different set that were corded have worked in the past and even they didn't work. I can tell that the mouse is recognized because the laser light is lit up, but the mouse on the monitor won't move.

I tried System Restore to a point before installing the driver, and tried installing and updating the driver for the Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard. Other USB devices are working fine too... I can't seem to figure it out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Try disabling the touchpad device on the laptop, as there might be a driver conflict.

Most touchpads are provided by "Synaptics", in which case there should be a configuration applet for it in control panel >> mouse. Mine has an option to "disable the touchpad when an external mouse is detected".
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:26 AM

I've gone into the mouse properties, and under device settings, where it allows me to disable the "Synaptics touch pad", there are no other devices listed underneath it and when I click to disable the touch pad it says "You are about to disable the only active Synaptics device." Doesn't seem to change anything even if I do disable it.

It's strange because I've never had a problem before on this laptop using other mice and keyboards.
Old November 14th, 2010, 02:59 AM

I don't know what did it but all of a sudden my mouse and keyboard started working - I didn't even change anything. Strange, but at least my problem is solved.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:37 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Quote:
I don't know what did it but all of a sudden my mouse and keyboard started working - I didn't even change anything. Strange, but at least my problem is solved.
good luck.
I see Volts and Amps rated listed on each adapter and on the back of each laptop. maybe your laptop amps isnt hold.

Amps-- my understanding is that the laptop can use an adapter with Amps equal to or above its own rating (an adapter with lower Amps rating won't work, but one with more is ok. The laptop just takes the amps it needs, as long as they're available).