Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:26 AM

Weird USB Problems

Okay, I need some help and the only place to turn is the internet. In fact, the internet is the only thing that's working for me at the moment.
I just returned from vacation with my labtop, and when I tried to upload pictures from my camera with a USB cord, my computer decided to freeze to the point I had to hold down the off button and restart.
I have Windows XP on a Dell Latitude (I think). The computer is a few years old (don't have a card slot), but I've never had problems before. When I hook up the camera, the computer says my USB device not recognize. Then, it'll give me options such as Picasa, Media Player, Windows Explorer, etc. If I choose any of those options, the computer freezes.
After rebooting the computer, I tried to open My Computer or Control Panel. They won't open even if the USB is unplugged. Instead I get the message "Windows Explorer has experienced a problem. Sorry for the inconvenience" and I have to choose Dont' Send Error Report.
I'm hoping someone out there knows what's going on and how I can fix it.
One site suggested updating Quicktime and Media Player, but that didn't help.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is awesome:
Old June 29th, 2010, 04:31 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Try re-installing the software for your camera. I that does not work try re-installing your USB driver.
Jim
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:52 PM

The problem now is that I restart my computer but Picasa, Itunes, my work program (the most important), My Computer, My Documents, Control Panel, etc. won't work. Pretty much the only thing that works is Internet Explorer. Also, Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work. I don't know if this happened before or after I tried uploading my pictures, but I'm not plugging in my camera anymore, and all of these problems are continuing.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
I think your computer have been poisoned. You can use another computer to try again, and see if it happen?? If it happen, it may your camera or USB cord problem.
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Thanks for trying everyone! I took my laptop to the experts who told me that my hard drive was failing. I guess it was a pretty crappy one since my computer was purchased refurbished. Luckily, I'll get to keep everything I had on it because they caught it in time.
Peace.