Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:54 AM

Can not use .vbs fix for Taskbar!Please help!

Hello.I'm new here, I'm Menicus 34yo from Athens, Greece.I'm having a problem running a taskbar fix-"minized programs do not show on taskbar"- which I downloaded from Kelly's Corner.The fix is a .vbs file, and when I try to open it-double clicking- it opens with the notepad, and the script is not executed.I downloaded Windows Script 5.7, but after installing SP3 release candidate-all well with it-, when trying to install the WS , it says I don't have to install the update bc I have a newer version.As a result, I can not run VB script files, and so can not install this Taskbar fix.
The name of the file is xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs

Any help would be appreciated.I'm desperate!

Thank you,

Greetings from Athens,Greece,

Menicus.
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Firstly, make sure the file actually has a .vbs extension. If your Folder Options are set to no show file extensions, the script's file name may actually be "is xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs.txt"; which will show as "is xp_taskbar_desktop_fixall.vbs" with file extensions hidden, but will actually be a .txt file and thus will open in Notepad.

Also, try right clicking the file. If 'Open' is not the default option (in bold), you need to make it so. If you've confirmed the file is actually .vbs, then there is a problem with your file associations. In either case, you can correct it in Control Panel->Folder Options->File Types, scroll down to VBS. If there is a Restore button, clicking it should fix either problem. If it's an Advanced button instead, click it. From here, you can either select 'Open' and click Set Default, or if 'Open' is not there, create a New action named "&Open" with the following application:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\WScript.exe "%1" %*
Tick Use DDE, set Application = "WScript", and Topic = "System"
Make that default if need be.
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:35 PM

Greetings!Oracle128, my warmest THANK YOU for your kind help and support.I fixed the damn thing.
The problem had to do with the files associations.I followed the procedure exactly as you described,having only to change the New Actions name to "Nopen"-easiest first thought-, because I got the message that the "&Open" action was allready registered.It accepted the new action and it's name along with the parameters, then set it as default.From there I just executed the little saviour script fix and all returned to normal.
I can't describe pretty well with words just how grateful:thumbsup I am.You saved me!THANK YOU for devoting time and effort to look into it.

Kind Regards and my respect,

Menicus.