Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Talking Bluetooth

I currently have a bluetooth dongle and with it I use BlueSoleil V1.6.1.4 software to connect the other bluetooth devices to my computer. I also use suspend to ram. This is different from standby as it saves the current 'status' of the computer to RAM and everything powers down ie hdd, fans etc except for RAM. I am using winXP. However now that I have the BlueSoleil software installed, if it is running, I cannot suspend the computer. Normally it will show me the screen saying 'preparing to standby' and then the computer powers down. But with the BlueSoleil running, the computer stays in the 'preparing to standby' screen and just stays there. At that point I have to reset the computer. Can anyone out there possible know how to work around this problem. It isn't much of a problem now as I don't use the bluetooth all the time so I can just exit the BlueSoliel before suspending the computer. But I am thinking of buying the Logitech MX5000 keyboard and mouse and that product uses bluetooth to connect to the computer. I am worried that with the MX5000 bluetooth, I will will need bluetooth to be on all the time and can maybe cannot suspend to ram. I am hoping that please someone out there has the answer as the BlueSoleil company doesn't seem to be replying to my emails.
Thanks
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:10 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
I also use suspend to ram. This is different from standby as it saves the current 'status' of the computer to RAM and everything powers down ie hdd, fans etc except for RAM.
No, this is exactly what Standby mode is.

You may not need to use the BlueSoleil software. Windows XP is quite capable of handling bluetooth connections on its own.
Old October 13th, 2006, 10:17 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
With regards to standby, i guess it's a matter of terminology. To me, standby is when the computer sleeps or everything is still on including the fans and you need to either move the mouse or press the keyboard to get back to normal operation. Suspend on the other hand turns off power to everything except RAM and you need to get back to normal mode by the computer's power button.
"Windows XP is quite capable of handling bluetooth connections on its own." Using what program?
Old October 13th, 2006, 03:20 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Quote:
To me, standby is when the computer sleeps or everything is still on including the fans and you need to either move the mouse or press the keyboard to get back to normal operation.
That's when the monitor goes on Standby, not the PC.
Quote:
Using what program?
After you've installed the drivers for the Bluetooth dongle, there should be usable Bluetooth settings in the Control Panel. These settings may not be needed though, if you just put a device in range Windows should load any drivers it has for it. I believe Windows XP by default only has options for transmitting files across.