Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

View Poll Results: Are you getting a flu shot?
Already did 0 0%
Planning on it 4 33.33%
Not sure 1 8.33%
No 7 58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Topic Tools
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Flu Shots

Are you getting one?
There's an article here on who is advised to get one.
I probably will get one. I have a breathing condition where my vocal cords tighten or close, restricting airflow, and last year, I got the flu, and passed out from lack of oxygen while trying to get to my nebulizer.

I do NOT want that to happen again.
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:29 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
I'm a retired rugby player who used to work in a coal mine and live on a farm. I'd get laughed out of the surgery!
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

Surgery? It's a vaccine.
I'm high risk, but I still don't think I can get one until mid-November.
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi rules
Surgery?
that's what we call a medical doctor's practice in G.B. To go under the knife, we say "have" surgery.
Old November 1st, 2005, 12:59 AM

Once you hit around 18-20 your immune system is pretty tough and can handle all that junk, last time I had a flu shot was when I was a weee 5 year old.

I remember one day I woke up and couldn't breath so my parents put me in the bathroom and turn the shower on it was horrible the first 10 minutes felt like I was going to suffucate, I didn't know what was wrong with me but, it did scare the crap out of me. I never had a asthma or anything it just happened outta no where during winter guess it was a flu attack I didn't know I had. *shrugs*
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
that's what we call a medical doctor's practice in G.B. To go under the knife, we say "have" surgery.
I never knew that. Why would they laugh at you? Don't they want people to get immunized?
Quote:
Once you hit around 18-20 your immune system is pretty tough and can handle all that junk
Mine won't. I have some condition where I can contract a virus or bacterial infection very easily. I even have to take medicine 1 hour before I go to the dentist.

Quote:
I remember one day I woke up and couldn't breath so my parents put me in the bathroom and turn the shower on it was horrible the first 10 minutes felt like I was going to suffucate, I didn't know what was wrong with me but, it did scare the crap out of me. I never had a asthma or anything it just happened outta no where during winter guess it was a flu attack I didn't know I had. *shrugs*
Yeah, I'm still not used to it. Normally I can use an inhaler (not too effective with what I have) or a nebulizer (better, but takes a while), but when I get the flu, neither one helps at all. It's worse than breathing through a straw all day, added with soreness, a fever, and coughing. After coughing, it is impossible to breathe for anywhere from 10 sec to 1 min+.

Last edited by Pi rules; November 1st, 2005 at 01:22 AM.
Old November 1st, 2005, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Mine won't. I have some condition where I can contract a virus or bacterial infection very easily. I even have to take medicine 1 hour before I go to the dentist.
Might want to strenghthen it up with more outside activity or, exercise, stretching in the mornin is just as important as brushin your teeth. Whenever I got the flu, allergies of, w/e the doc just gave me a steriod shot to get through it.

Dunno if it's good for everyone but, he used it on most everyone who complained bout those things.

Enuff exercise helps too keep the blood flowing and getting ur immune system working up.

Some people round here just get flu shots for no reason hightened anxiety I think.

Well if you go to the dentist and take medicine an hour before usually they're gonna do some kinda surgery right?
Old November 1st, 2005, 03:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Well if you go to the dentist and take medicine an hour before usually they're gonna do some kinda surgery right?
No. I have to take amoxicillin first to help avoid infection.

I found this online that explains it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by above link
Patients who need antibiotic pre-medication are identified as those patients with joint replacements (knees, hips, etc..), heart valve problems caused by Mitral Valve Prolapse, Rheumatic fever causing valvular stenosis or regurgitation, heart murmurs, congenital cardiac malformations, prosthetic cardiac valves (valve replacements), and previous Bacterial Endocarditis. It is important that the patient be aware of his/her condition and have a heart exam and diagnosis by their physician. The physician will determine if the patient needs to be pre-medicated and choose the appropriate antibiotic.
I have some heart problem that they diagnosed after I got some heart tests last year.
Old November 1st, 2005, 03:49 AM

Quote:
I have some heart problem that they diagnosed after I got some heart tests last year.
Is it like a fluttering in your chest before you go too sleep?

And about all that heart stuff, I know a man in his late 60's that had triple bypass surgery. The doctors prescribed him some medication he take he was layed up for a couple months and, once he had the energy to move about he started walking as much as he could just strolling around here and there acrossed his farm. A couple months later he goes back to the doctor and, the doctor exclaims. What are you doing!?!? Your health has improved drastically. The man said," just walking and taken my medicine" He's a good friend of my family, I call him Uncle Murphy.

Last edited by Vercades; November 1st, 2005 at 04:00 AM.
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:02 AM
CTH Subscriber

It's a bunch of odd stuff. Some pain, some irregular beats, etc. No heart surgery or anything like that, luckily.
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:11 AM

Doctor told me best is not to drink caffeinated beverages passed 6:00pm causes your heart to beat like a Hawaiian drum before you go to bed.. scared the crap out of me when I first experienced it.
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I'm not sure whether I may already have a touch of that Avian bird flu.

I've been feeling chirpy all morning.
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:20 PM
CTH Subscriber

I'm "trilled" for you!
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Suppose you could say I've gone to seed.
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM

You probably should go to roost for a few days.