Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:22 AM

installed new harddrive ...... please help

ok----harddrive died,,,so i bought a new one, installed it to the computer, put in the cd for the new harddrive in , finally read it, but cant seem to boot,,,,,getting error message NTLDR missing, please hit key to restart........after a number of trys, finally got to were i can load Windows XP,,,,started to load, and than came up with an error message that certian files could not be copied, to hit esc, this happen many times, ;;;;; the windows screen came up .....but said that i did not have all files to start ???? , i am at a loss, is it the harddrive, the boot, or the bios ???someone please help
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:22 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
WELCOME TO CTH

Need more info.

1. What size hard drive is it?

The easiest way is not use the cd that came with the drive. Reboot, immediately hit the DEL key to get into BIOS (SETUP) - or whatever key the screen tells you to use to get into SETUP.

Once in setup find and change the boot sequence so it boots from the CDROM 1st (save & Exit)

Have the Windows XP CD in, it will boot from it. Floowing the screen and XP will partition, format the hard drive and install itself.
Old August 20th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Thank you

Thank you for your help, ill try that