Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:09 PM

Question Scandisk - Black screen/Safe Mode hanging (moved from W7)

I have have been having issues with my dual boot (Win7 & XP SP3) SB ASUS P8P67 Deluxe build (system freezing, black screen on cold boot/failed OC, Win 7 restore points being deleted by XP) and I made the following adjustments: updated the BIOS to v.1305 and made the required registry adjustments in XP for the restore point issue (which worked).

Now when I try to do a scandisk in Win7, it hangs after the reboot and I get a black screen. Also, when I try to go into Safe Mode with a command prompt, I see that Windows is loading files, then it hangs with the files listed on the screen. At this point Win7 no longer boots, and when I used the Repair Disk (and the OS DVD) to get into the Repair Console, Win7 was not listed so I could not locate any of my restore points. I restored a recent system image, and it seems to working now, with the restore points there again.

One other note, I upgraded the BIOS before I read where I had to make that my current BIOS was in its "failsafe default settings." Is this going to be a problem going forward? I would greatly appreciate for any help!
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
One other note, I upgraded the BIOS before I read where I had to make that my current BIOS was in its "failsafe default settings." Is this going to be a problem going forward? I would greatly appreciate for any help!
Hopefully not. If flashing the bios went without a hitch, there really shouldn't be a problem in that regard.

By scandisk do mean chkdsk?

Quote:
black screen on cold boot/failed OC
This is generally a power (PSU) issue of some sort. Post complete hardware specs (use my sig as an example), include the make/wattage of the psu.