Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:20 AM

Swapped mobo on two computers, both computers now hang

Yeah, as the title says. For a backstory, I bought an AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition processor today and tried putting it in my current computer. The processor wasn't compatible with my computer I guess, so I tried it in my dad's computer and it worked. I swapped the mobos on the two (leaving all other parts/hdd/etc intact) and now both computer hang on boot up. I tried seeing if it was just the processor but a processor swap proved it was not. If it helps, my dad's computer beeps on an interval. I don't think my speaker is hooked up to mine, so I can't tell. I am sure that all plugs are in correctly.

Help?
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

Lets take these pc's one at a time.
You have a couple of issues going here, You need to list hardware specs for both systems, include OS & service pack.

On your dad's pc, describe the beeps, are they long or short, or a combination of the 2, How many beeps are in the sequence. Which bios is being used (AMI, Phoenix or Award)?

Quote:
I am sure that all plugs are in correctly.
Go through and check them again, reseat any expansion cards (video, nic, etc), do the same with all the power connectors, and data leads.

Since you changed cpu's on both systems, you need to reset the bios to factory defaults (both systems), there should be a "reset jumper somewhere on the board, look around the motherboard battery for it, or check the motherboard manual for the location. It's a set of 3 pins with the 1&2 pins being jumpered for normal operation. To reset the bios, move the jumper to pins 2&3 pins for 30 seconds, then move it back to the 1&2 pins. That will reset the bios to factory defaults and you should be able to boot the system. you will need to change the bios settings to reflect the pc's hardware when you reboot.

Once thats done, you still need to get the correct motherboard drivers for both systems installed or windows isn't going to boot. You need to do a repair install of the OS on both systems. once that's completed you can install the correct drivers on each pc.
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:10 PM

NVM, everything is fixed, thank you

Last edited by flaris; February 13th, 2009 at 10:50 PM.