Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:22 AM

installing new hard drive and installing windows xp

my hard drive crashed and I would like to install a new hard drive and put in my windows xp. After installation of the hard drive according to manufactur instructions is there anything i need to know, or to do to install my windows xp. My hard drive crashed and is definitely shot . I would like to install all my prior software that has been destroyed. I have all programming information. I guess my other concern is .. will the hard drive pick up other things such as the mother board and the guts. Is it as simple as instinalling the new hard drive and popping in the xp cd then to proceed with the instuctions that the cd will command? Please reply as soon as possible.
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:09 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Is it as simple as instinalling the new hard drive and popping in the xp cd then to proceed with the instuctions that the cd will command. YES

You have to make sure the computer is set to boot from thne CD.

To do this reboot and immediately get into SETUP, either by hitting the DEL key or whatever key the screen tells you to use to get into SETUP.

Once in there, find the menu item that allows you to set the boot sequence, set it to CDROM as the 1st boot device. SAVE & EXIT and with the XP CD in it will boot from it and follow instructions.

This will walk you thru the process.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Scroll down to CLEAN INSTALL section.
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:15 AM

Thank you so very much for reply.. i found that clean install artical you had just cited in your reply to my question. Thanks again! and bummer all this took place before i begin my IT training in a few short weeks .... so i really have to get my computer back up and running. Guess I get early and first hand experience on installation of windows xp..