Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM

Sick Of TeleMarketers?

I only know a Canadian outfit that recently is offering this, but if your sick of Telemarketers and are willing to spend money one time on this device, than this may be what your looking for. This is like an answering machine, but it stops your phone from ringing and knows most Telemarketers.

QUOTE: "The Screen Machine intercepts calls coming in to your telephone line. It plays a brief recorded message that tells callers you do not accept solicitations and instructs marketers to remove your name from their lists. The message then invites wanted callers to press the "5" button on their telephone... and it is not until this time that your phone rings. In less than 15 seconds, telemarketers are gone!"

But, maybe your just happy having VoiceMail or AnsweringMachine to tell TeleMarketers to Scram.

ClickHere For Canadian Pricing
Learn Even More

If your American you more likely already have this available somewhere.

Last edited by DJoe; June 23rd, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
The U.S. has the National Do Not Call registry. Register all your phone numbers and all telemarketers are prohibited by law from calling those numbers. Exception: "...political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls."*

In addition, if you tell a telemarketer not to call the number again but they do anyway, they're subject to up to a $11,000 fine.

*Source
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:27 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Unfortunately, Miz's exceptions still let in a lot of irritating calls for us!

We're on that list, but also have had a 'Talking Caller ID' for a number of years (believe bought from Smarthome) - when a call arrives, a 'computerized' voice states the number or 'unavailable', if the latter, we never pick up, and rarely is a message left on our answering phone - just another of the MANY considerations to help avoid these irritations!
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:01 PM

I believe we have a registry, but, it doesn't seem to be very effective in Canada.
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Rampant Rabbit

We also have one in the UK, also not very effective. This has just reminded me to shop the wa***rs who abuse it.
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Will you have 2 extra options, buy a machine to block them out, or when your in the mood play with the Tele's, otherwise tell them on your regular answering machine, "REMOVE ME FROM YOUR LIST IF YOUR A TELEMARKETER".
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Dw i ddim yn hoffi eira

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I find it quite satisfying to listen to them crap on for a while and then tell them you're just getting a pen.

Leave the phone on the side and sit back with your favourite tipple.
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM

O/S: MacOS
We were subscribed to the Telephone Preference Register (I think it was called) but it didnt do much good.

If I see a dodgy call coming through, I let the kids deal with it lol - our Jack does a cracking Borat impression and Elliott does his 'whateva mate' Kevin thing. The callers soon hang up.

I once kept a guy hanging on while we ate dinner, and another time this persistent person kept on and on phoning so I got a refs whistle out and deafened him

Old June 27th, 2008, 04:54 AM

Silent Numbers...

Down here, we have a similar (though ineffective) register to shelve off Telemarketeers.

In the past, I used to ask for their numbers to call them back because I was too busy to talk at time of call (of course, they would always refuse their number, which was a perfect excuse for me to ring off - but this didn't stop them from calling at a later date/time).

Phone screening with a message machine was effective for selective answering.

However, since getting a silent home and mobile number, only those persons who are given my phone number can contact me. So no more telemarketeers problem for me
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:42 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Just out of curiosity, do you find that you have problems getting through to people legalsuit?

I always check caller ID and dont answer any calls from anonymous numbers. I figure if it's important they will leave a message but they almost never do.
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you find that you have problems getting through to people legalsuit?

I always check caller ID and dont answer any calls from anonymous numbers. I figure if it's important they will leave a message but they almost never do.
Hey AnnMarie!

Generally speaking, normally don't have problems getting through to people. With telemarketeers, I used to politely excuse myself following a simple reason of absolute disinterest, then simply hanging up.

Phone machines are still great for screening calls, and like you say, can't be important if no message. But, having silent numbers is definitely the go...not a single marketeer now.
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM

The U.S. must be the only country that is serious about slamming the telemarketer's against the locker, if you know what I mean. Just assumption.

I wonder if it also blocks companys that you signed up for, again Telemarketers. For example Credit Card, Banking Institutions, Store Credits.

Last edited by DJoe; June 27th, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
The National Do Not Call Registry makes exceptions for non-profits, surveys and those you have an existing business relationship with. Rarely does someone you already do business with take a telemarketing approach though. Not good for business.