Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM

Cross platform text editor

Ok so I have been working on a project in C language and at my work place I have been using Linux Fedora. Sometimes I work from my home and my PC has Windows XP installed on it. It seems I can open the text files on my Windows system that were created on the linux machine, I can edit them and reopen on Linux platform but I cannot open the text files created on Windows XP. I have been using Wordpad in windows XP. Now what I would like to know if there is some cross platform text editor which allows you to create text files in Windows XP that can be easily read using standard text editors like GEdit on Linux. I cannot install any thing on my office machine because of some security constraints.
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Probably you are having trouble with ends of lines. Windows, Mac and Unix use different ASCII characters to represent the end of a line:
Unix/Mac OS X+: LF (ASCII symbol 0x0A)
Other Mac OS: CR (ASCII 0x0D)
DOS/Windows: both CR and LF

So what you really need is a text editor that can recognize the different new line codes.
A good programmer's text editor is PSPad, it can easily handle all 3 types. When you open it, down the bottom it will say DOS. Clicking on this will cycle through DOS, UNIX and MAC for the different types. You can also select the type from the Format menu.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle128 View Post
Probably you are having trouble with ends of lines. Windows, Mac and Unix use different ASCII characters to represent the end of a line:
Unix/Mac OS X+: LF (ASCII symbol 0x0A)
Other Mac OS: CR (ASCII 0x0D)
DOS/Windows: both CR and LF

So what you really need is a text editor that can recognize the different new line codes.
A good programmer's text editor is PSPad, it can easily handle all 3 types. When you open it, down the bottom it will say DOS. Clicking on this will cycle through DOS, UNIX and MAC for the different types. You can also select the type from the Format menu.
So you are trying to say that this text editor will allow me to create .c files on windows system that can be read without any problems on Linux ? (Assuming that end of line character is the issue here )
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Yes, as long as you change the newline type to UNIX. Plain ASCII text (like C/C++ source code) should otherwise have no problems being read on any system. That's why I'm sure that's the problem, because nothing else is different with the way text files are read/written.