Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old May 30th, 2007, 03:01 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Computer Crashing With Use Of external Hard Drive

Hi,

I own a Sony Vaio Laptop VGN FE28H bought last September.
about 2 weeks ago i bought a 500 GB Western Digital My Book Essential External Hard Drive, i have copied all my itunes music ( About 60 GB) onto it my movies and some other things which has left me alot of space on my internal hard drives. I have had no problem up until Friday that has just past. when i was listening to itunes while surfing the web. Then all of a sudden my USB Blue Tooth Logitech mouse stopped working at that moment i tried using the finger pad that did not work also, the music carried on playing and on screen the adverts on the websites kept moving i used alt tab and i was able to move through applications then all of a sudden it crashed and i was able to do nothing. This now has happened everyday since friday and i do not know what has brought it on. it always seems to happen though when on firefox a few tabs are open and itunes is open except for today when i opened itunes and it crashed again.

This laptop has never crashed since i have bought it until now and i am very unsure of what is the matter with it. I used system restore yesterday because i thought there may be something the matter with the registry but to no avail.

i would be most grateful for your help.

specs:

Sony Vaio VGN - FE28H
Motherboard( I Think!!?) - Mobile Intel(R) 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express PCI Root Port - 27A1
CPU - Intel Centrino Duo 1.6 Ghz
Memory (RAM) - 1024
Hard Drive - 2 internal Hard drives c:/ - 75GB
d:/ - 67 GB
External Hard Drive - Western Digital My Book Essential 500 GB

Thanks Alot!!

B
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Have you tryed surfing through the web and doing other applications without useing itunes see if it has the same problem if not close everything and open itunes alone see if that causes the problem its possible if u moved the files to the external that itunes is haveing trouble finding the files even if u moved them useing itunes which can cause problems with it. now if its itunes alone that causes the problem try disconnecting the external hard drive then open itunes if still same problme uninstall the reinstall itunes