Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM

O/S: MacOS
Faulty Ipod hard drive to use as external Hard drive?

I have an old 3rd Generation iPod which has a faulty hard drive. The reasons that the drive is faulty is that it was put on a magnet which corrupted the hard drive. I have been told that if i was to reformat the drive it could be used as an external hard drive because it is the ipod firmware that is corrupted not the actual hard drive. Is this true and if so how would i go about formatting the drive?

Thanks,
Jack
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Plug it in, Go into disk management and format it.
If the firmware is corrupt, Plug it into the computer and open up itunes. If your using the latest iTunes (7.1 I think), and were using the latest software update, then it will automatically recognize the firmware needs to be reinstalled.
Or if you were using the old Ipod Updater, Use it to "restore" your ipod to factory settings.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:31 PM

O/S: MacOS
The pc or itunes doesnt recognise the ipod as an ipod. where is disk management? I dont want to use the ipod as an ipod anymore i just want to use the hard drive if possible?

Cheers,
Jack

Update: i plugged the ipod in and after a while it recognised it as an ipod. It was listed in device manager as this and allowed me to view its properties from this. it was also listed in my computer but when clicked on my computer would freeze and when i tried to close it it said programme not responding and when i clicked 'end now' it sort of refreshed my desktop and closed some programmes which was wierd. It is generally pretty screwed up.

Last edited by miller123; January 9th, 2007 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Update
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Yeah it's possible. But if the magnet effected the firmware, It may have effected the HDD aswell.
Disk management is accessible by Right click on My Computer Click on manage, Then in Computer Management click Disk Management from the left pane.
Your Ipod should show there..