Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012

Notices

Windows NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, 2012 Problem solving for the NT, Windows 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2012 Operating Systems

Topic Tools
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:08 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Exclamation Update problems

I recently installed windows 2000 pro and cannot access the windows updates. I can open the home page, but cannot access the updates. A notation in the windows help file states that I cannot access update unless I am logged on as a network administrator. This is a stand alone computer in my home, not part of a network. How to I get around this problem as I need to do the updates before I install anything.
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:10 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
So when you open up the browser and use "Tools" then "Windows Update" it won't allow you to update ?
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAdWaYz
So when you open up the browser and use "Tools" then "Windows Update" it won't allow you to update ?
That's correct, I just get to the update web page and that's it. I will not allow me to view updates much less download them. Apparently you have to have administrator rights to do this. I think windows 2000 believes all computers are on networks. I have to find some way to get around the fact that I am not on a network or set myself up as an administrator. Any ideas?
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot
That's correct, I just get to the update web page and that's it. I will not allow me to view updates much less download them. Apparently you have to have administrator rights to do this. I think windows 2000 believes all computers are on networks. I have to find some way to get around the fact that I am not on a network or set myself up as an administrator. Any ideas?
go to your control panel and select "user accounts." from there it will show you the authorized users of your computer. whatever the name was you entered upon installing windows as the primary account should be the "administrator" account. make sure you are logged into that account before attempting anything else. once you log into that account, you should have complete control over anything the computer does.
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM

Thumbs up update problems

jaycjyz Thanks for the info regarding my update probems. I think I found out what the real problem was. I had to go to Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, LAN settings, and turn off the box "Automatically Detect Settings" When I returned to Microsoft Update, it worked fine and I was able to download all the updates required. Thanks again, I appreciate your input.