Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Windows won't boot, reinstallation is not an option.

One fine day (today) my computer once again crashed. Like any other time it does, I have to restart by unplugging (since the power is bios-driven or whatever), go through the boot loader, and pick Windows to crash and complain about it more (go figure).

Now, I've rebooted into Windows, and get the big blue login screen, and when I login I get my generic "wrong operating system" wav, and then a critical stop - it doesn't go past that big blue screen. The mouse cursor has the little hourglass by it for a minute and then goes back to regular mouse - I'm forced to reboot and have some personal time with Linux that I'm enjoying. The thing is, my mom, being a total class of newb, demands windows.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I know I'm a little bland, but there's not much I can really find out from where I am..
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restin256
One fine day (today) my computer once again crashed. Like any other time it does, I have to restart by unplugging (since the power is bios-driven or whatever), go through the boot loader, and pick Windows to crash and complain about it more (go figure).

Now, I've rebooted into Windows, and get the big blue login screen, and when I login I get my generic "wrong operating system" wav, and then a critical stop - it doesn't go past that big blue screen. The mouse cursor has the little hourglass by it for a minute and then goes back to regular mouse - I'm forced to reboot and have some personal time with Linux that I'm enjoying. The thing is, my mom, being a total class of newb, demands windows.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I know I'm a little bland, but there's not much I can really find out from where I am..

you might be able to repair the system in the windows recovery console. You don't have to make changes to anything. just start it and close it...it might help
Old February 17th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Repairing Corrupted or Missing Boot.ini Files
http://sft-cyber.com/Bootini.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm

Fixing Windows 2000/XP BOOT.INI Files
http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/editbini.htm
Old February 17th, 2004, 11:33 PM

I'm using grub as my boot loader, on the MBR. :)

How would I go about going into the System Recovery Console? I should probably mention that I don't have the XP install CD, hence Reinstallation is not an option. It's a crappy rent2own PC, my mom got it because she didn't listen to me when I said I could build it. I guess I could take it back to the store as a last option, but I've installed a new hard drive (on the agreement it says you can't modify the hardware, but I didn't see putting in a new drive as "modifying" - still, I'm on my toes). Also, I think if they install via a hard drive image, it would delete my SuSE installation.
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Wow, turns out I got it working by hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL when it started up. It sounds like something anybody would try.