Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Google Privacy Check

Interesting to see that the first requirement to undertaking the Google privacy check is to sign in to Google.

I maintain my privacy by not signing in to Google.

However I do have a Gmail account, which I access from a separate browser, and close before doing anything else.

Would be interested what others have to think about this whole privacy thing.
Old May 21st, 2018, 03:52 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Your browser window mean nothing. Seriously. No matter what web site you hit.. your IP is transferred to the site. That's how the internet works. It doesn't matter if you open Gmail in the same window as Amazon, or in different windows, both windows send your IP address. Using different windows is like saying "Well I called them from the telephone in the bedroom rather than the kitchen telephone, so they won't get my caller ID." The caller ID is transmitted either way. It's the same cables, same service provider, same lines.

If you use Gmail.. you have no privacy from Google.

If you use Google search.. you have no privacy from Google.

If you use Google Chrome, you have no privacy.

If you use Google Docs, you have no privacy....

If you use ANYTHING "Google" or ANY of it's subsidiaries you have no privacy.

Google is far more widespread than many realize.
A - Alphabet / Android / AdSense / Analytics / Ara / AdMob / Alerts
B - Blogger / Boston Dynamics / Books
C - Calico / Cardboard / Capital
D - Drive / DeepMind / Design / DoubleClick
E - Earth / Express
F - Fiber / Fi / Flights / FeedBurner / Firebase / Finance
G - Google / Gmail / Glass / Groups
H - Hangouts
I - Images / Ingress / Inbox / Invite Media
J - Jump
K - Keep
L - Life Sciences / Local / Loon
M - Maps / My Business / Makani
N - Nest / News / Nexus / Now
O - Offers
P - Plus / Play / Photos / Picasa / Pixate / Patents
Q - (Nexus) Q
R - Refine / reCaptcha
S - Search / Shopping / SageTV /Stackdriver / Skybox / Skia / Scholar
T - Translate / Tango
V - Voice / Ventures / VirusTotal / Video
W - Wallet / Wing
X - X Labs
Y - YouTube
Z - Project Z / Zagat

The myth of privacy online is just that, a myth.

Your data is a commodity to be farmed and it is farmed in any way possible whether you agree to something or not. The ONLY difference is whether identifying information such as name, address, email, etc are attached to the data that is collected. But your IP offers enough information to track your web usage and determine your gender, general age, possible financial status, etc.

The reality is in most instances an IP and internet history will allow an algorithm to fairly accurately predict WHO you are based upon phone books, public records, and other readily available databases. For example, do you own a home? Then your name is freely available on the internet just by looking up your address (in the US anyway). Housing sales are public record. Other public records can then be search for your name.. marriages, divorces, law suits, tickets, etc.

MOST sites will use google analytics to track visitors... all Google needs is your IP and it can then gather everything that IP has done actoss ANY site using Google Analytics, not to mention the sites Google owns themselves.

In short, you have no privacy if you us the internet. You either make it easy to gather it, or more secretive, that's all. Just ask Facebook users.....

If you seriously want privacy online, you need to use a virtual private network (VPN) which is anonymous (not all of them are) and in general stop using services offered by data-mining companies such as Google , Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, et. al. Not an easy task in today's age. However, you can use local applications as opposed to online apps with subscriptions. You can use a POP3 Email account on your own server or a hosting account you pay for, with a local email client rather than using ANY form of web mail. You can buy CDs/DVDs at a brick and mortar store rather than streaming them - same goes for just about anything you'd buy on Amazon, Ebay, etc.

Truth of the matter is, unless you exclusively use an anonymous VPN and the TOR network (dark web).. you ARE being tracked.
Old May 28th, 2018, 10:28 AM

There are ways of keeping your privacy (Making it harder for them)

1) DO NOT HAVE A SMART PHONE
2) DO NOT USE FACEBOOK
3) DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING "SMART" IN YOUR HOUSE

Those are 3 good ways to keep what little privacy you can still get
Old June 6th, 2018, 02:06 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
MOST sites will use google analytics to track visitors... all Google needs is your IP and it can then gather everything that IP has done actoss ANY site using Google Analytics, not to mention the sites Google owns themselves.
Thanks for your post, Buzz. Are you saying above that CTH (just as an example), or any site I go to, can easily find out all other sites I visit? I'm not surprised by any of the other examples, but that does surprise, and bother, me.
Old June 6th, 2018, 03:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
2) DO NOT USE FACEBOOK
But even if you don't have Facebook, can't they still track you through the Facebook links that other websites have added to their web pages?
Old June 6th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: MacOS
Harrie...

CTH HTML:
Quote:
<!-- Global site tag (gtag.js) - Google Analytics -->
<script async src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js?id=UA-263935-1"></script>

Yes this site hits Google Analytics with your IP. Google can then cross reference your IP with any other information it has on your IP and determine which sites you visit.

The cold, hard, undeniable, reality is if you use the internet in ANY way, you are tracked. There's no way to avoid it. You can mask it with an anonymous VPNs, but even then VPN will know your originating IP. So they could, if pressured generally by law enforcement, release the IP and all VPN IPs associated with your IP. But an anonymous VPN will hide you from most common corporations and tracking.
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Thank you, Buzz. Appreciate the reply.