Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:22 PM

Question laptop cannot connect wirelessly over encrypted network

Hi this is my first post on this forum, I have searched for this but cannot find anything on it so here goes...

I have recently bought a new Acer 5051 laptop to use at home on my wireless netowk. Trouble is that i cannot get it to connect to my network when encryption is enabled.

I have turned off the encryption on my router and it will connect without issues and stay connected as long as you like, but as soon as i bump up the security it will not connect.

I am using WPA-PSK authentication and TKIP data encryption. I have tried changing the "pre-shared key" on my router to different passwords, i have even tried using only hex rather than ASCII characters but it does not like it.

I am using the windows wireless connection sotware and it detects the network, i click connect, it asks for the key and says connecting, then it says aquiring network address and then says a connection could not be establshed.

This is reflected if i type ipconfig /all in the command prompt it says media disconnected under wireless.

I can get my other laptop to connect fine regardless of security setting so the router is working fine.

My new laptop has built in wireless which runs on the Broadcom chip, i have downloaded the latest drivers from the acer website, got all the windows updates and have updated the firmware on my router.

I have installed a wireless USB dongel to see if that works and it connects for about 1 or 2 seconds and then disconnects and then reconnects etc...

the laptop is running WinXP MCE and has norton running antivirus/firewall. I have never used MCE before so not sure if there is something closing this connection down as a security precaution???

Sorry for the long post any help much appretiated

thanks

Matt
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
You should post this in the networking forum.
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=17
Old January 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM

sorry my mistake, please close this thread then
Closed Topic