Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:36 PM

Issue with wireless adapter

I have installed a Netgear wireless adapter in my other desktop computer. It installed fine and found the signal but it will not connect as it never acquires the network address. In looking at the error it said that it was unable to renew the IP address. In doing ipconfig/release and renew it said it was unable to contact DHCP server as the request timed out.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:23 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Did you configure it?

In browser type in:

http://192.168.1.1

User Name should be: ADMIN
Password should be: Password
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:07 PM

Well I did not try that at first, as I have another desktop that I used this same adapter on previously with no issues.
I have tried to go to the site to check the settings but keep getting the IE cannot display webpage. I tried to get there on Firefox as well but it just loads to a blank page.
So I have been stuck.
Thanks!
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:03 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
Jlogan it sounds like the wireless adapter is able to connect to your router or AP but that its not able to get out to the internet. When the wireless adapter connects to the router/AP what IP address, subnet mask,and default gateway numbers look like? You can either take a screen shot or just type the numbers you see in a post here. That will help to see if the router/AP is giving your wireless adapter a valid or good IP address. Also is the router/AP running any sort of security such as WEP or WPA ect ect?
Old March 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM

Ok, I tried to connect again, and it still says the same thing, limited or no connectivity and unable to acquire network address, and unable to renew ip address.
ipconfig produced:
subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway: n/a
Autoconfig IP: 169.254.205.156

Thanks and let me know if you need any other information.
I do appreciate it.
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Banned

Issues with wireless adapter can be resolved by tech support and it convert good result..