Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:36 AM

Bsod

I built a computer about 3 weeks ago. Everything has been running great, but tonight out of seemingly no where I started getting BSOD with the error 0x0000124. I tried looking in to what it might be, but I am not sure. It started when I was playing Battlefield Bad Company 2. Not the most demanding game by any means, but I did notice that my CPU and GPU started running hot, around 58-70 C. I tried downloading Speedfan, but my motherboard isnt listed on the supported page. If someone could please help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:14 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Make A Check List Of Following:

• Ensure that none of the hardware is being over-clocked.
• Ensure that the machine is adequately cooled. Chase out those dust bunnies!
• Make sure all hardware related drivers are up to date.
• Possibly update the motherboard BIOS according to the manufacturer's
instructions.
• Always keep The Windows system itself up to date.

THEN TAKE THESE ACTIONS:

Fix Defective Hardware:

Confirm the hardware is working correctly using a hardware diagnostic program. If you
suspect a specific hardware item, such as memory stick or video card, try replacing it
with known good hardware.

Don't overlook the possibility that hardware was not installed correctly, especially
anything you installed just prior to the problems starting. Make sure all cards and
memory are securely seated in their slots. Verify disk drive cables are properly
connected and are not loose.

Check Memory :

You may have a defective memory. This is even more likely if it only occurs when the
system is cold or hot, but not all the time. Use a memory tester to confirm if it is
defective or if you have spare memory, try replacement.

• Confirm all the memory is of the same type and speed. Many motherboards only
work correctly when the memory is installed with matched sets and matched speeds.

• If you added or changed your memory just before this problem occurred, try
reverting to the prior memory configuration to confirm it's the source of the problem.

• Check that the memory is fully seated in the sockets. Memory sockets often have
side latches that need to be upright to indicate the memory is correctly locked in place.

• Confirm the memory resides in the correct slots on the motherboard. You'll need
to refer to the motherboard manual to confirm this. There is little consistency, even
within a single vendor. Some systems require that memory is installed as matched pairs,
but not always adjacent to each other!

• It's also possible the memory problem is on the video card, as they often contain
additional memory. The video card should be tested and/or try a different video card to
see if the problem goes away.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:53 PM

Alex, thanks for the response. As far as I know nothing is overclocked. I am using it as is out of the box and did not fiddle with the settings. I wanted to post this reply because something new is happening. When i booted up my computer this morning, the motherboard logo with the F key options showed up as normal then the screen said starting windows, then my monitor went to sleep like nothing was being displayed. I restarted my computer and the same thing happened. This time I tried to go into the BIOS, still no display. I turned on my speakers and started my computer again and blindly entered my password to start windows, it started up, but still no display. I am not sure what is going on here.
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:14 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
may be there is any automatic change happened in your system.
and yeah, did you try to enter in boot menu and launch windows in safe mode?
try to connect your hard drive with any other system and see if it is working properly.
in addition, try to connect any other screen (monitor/LCD)to your system
you need to test all memory sticks, GPU's, PCI cards and different drivers.
Old April 17th, 2013, 01:38 PM

Alex, I did check all pci slots and tried the integrated graphics on my mobo, still no display. I hooked up an little 22" HDTV with and HDMI cable and tried it again. I got a display! I then put my gpu back in and rebooted, i got a display again! I ran a temp program and idle my gpu was around 50 and underload it was about 60 C which I hear is ok. However, my CPU was running 80s idle and 105 C under load. After a few minutes of being under load I would get the blue screen again with the error 0x0000124. My friend says he doesnt think that the blue screen is caused by the processor running so hot because it would shut down immediately and not take time to throw up an error message. I have not tried each stick of RAM individually yet, wanted to post this up first and see peoples thoughts.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:00 AM

I wanted to give an update and see if anyone has any suggestions. After different tests and trying different pieces of hardware in different combos one at a time, I have come to the conclusion that the reason for my BCCODE 124 error is my graphics card. I have a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660 TI and I replaced it with my old RADEON 4850. With the old card, it runs fine and I get no blue screen, which when running my GTX I would get a blue screen about every 10 minutes or so when playing games. Any suggestion on why this might be happening?
Closed Topic