Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Question Cannot start Vista

Hey Guys,
So my moms computer is not working. I turned it on and it started performing a check.
When it is turned on (VISTA) it asks if you want to start normally or perform a startup repair. If I have it start normally is will show the green loading bar but does not show the Visat logo or screen. Then after it load, it goes to a black screen and start running a check and gets stuck on 259/90,0000 or something like that.
I have run a hardware check to see if the memory is bad but it came back fine. I try to do the restore, I pick a date, it says its making the changes, then it will sit there say "finalizing" restore for days and do nothing. I came back home to install Spy Sweeper on it but as soon as I turned it on this happened so now I am getting blamed for it.

Any idea?

Thanks!
Old November 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
Then after it load, it goes to a black screen and start running a check and gets stuck on 259/90,0000 or something like that.
Is this what you see?

If so, do you have a Vista DVD?
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:01 AM

Thank You for replying.

However, the screen does not look the same.

When I attempt Startup Repair, it gets stuck at "Attempting Repairs", but the bar (not a progress bar) keeps moving. It has sat for days.

If I start it up normally, it sits on the loading screen for much longer, then sometimes it will restart. Then it gives me the option of Startup Repair or start normally. If I hit normal, the next screen is black with a single "_" in the top left corner that flashes (looks just like the screenshot you posted but w/ no other text than the "_" in the top left). Then a few seconds later it gets stuck on "!!0XC0000034!! 249/99471 (-0000000000000000.cdf-ms)"

Last edited by carmatyl; November 27th, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

Do you have a Vista DVD carmatyl? I think the best idea would be to use it to boot and try running System Restore from there.

If not, you can download a Vista Recovery disk from here, burn the iso to DVD, use it to boot and run SR. See here for more help.

If the worst comes to the worst, you should able to use the DVD you created to backup their files to a USB removable drive.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:22 AM

Thanks again AnnMarie, just one more question beforehand, will this erase any sort of data or whatnot?
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

No, running System Restore will not erase data but any software installed after the date it restores to will have to be reinstalled.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:35 AM

Thank You.

I am going to try the iso right now.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

Good luck. System Restore can take a long time when run from the DVD so be patient.

Let me know how you get on and if necessary (worst case scenario), I'll show you how to back up their files the easy way.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:42 AM

Almost done downloading the torrent, have ImgBurn installed and am waiting!

Now, just to clear things up, this is running the System Restore (The Windows application where you pick a date to restore the computer) off of the DVD? And idea as to how long it will take? It is an avg out of the box desktop, about 1 1/2 years old.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmatyl View Post
Almost done downloading the torrent, have ImgBurn installed and am waiting!

Now, just to clear things up, this is running the System Restore (The Windows application where you pick a date to restore the computer) off of the DVD?
Yes. Have a look at the link I posted. It shows the exact procedure to follow.

Quote:
And idea as to how long it will take? It is an avg out of the box desktop, about 1 1/2 years old.
Dont know. It might take anything up to a couple of hours but I have heard reports of it taking longer.
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:57 AM

I put the CD, ran it from the CD-ROM and it gives me the main choice to install Windows Vista. I clicked "repair" and it brought me to the System *Recovery*. Is this okay? I thought I was doing a system restore.
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

Yes, please look at the link I posted carmatyl. If Startup Repair tries to run, click on Cancel.
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:07 AM

Ah, sorry for disregarding the second link.

I've successfully got the system restore working. Lets hope it does not get stuck. Or do you think it was still ACTUALLY going after 3 days?

Thanks again
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

I would doubt it carmatyl but I have seen successes running SR from a DVD when running it from the builtin OEM recovery environment failed. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:14 AM

Thanks AnnMarie,
I'll be sure to follow-up with hopefully good news!