Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 31st, 2009, 05:42 PM

can you refresh memory on how to boot from cd upon turning on computer??

so once its all installed, clean install, i mean, do you think i should then do the restore part of my files that i backed up, THEN go to windows updates and get all updates needed as well as serv pack 2?

when i do a vista backup and restore, will it allow me to backup the browser i use too ? i dont know that i want to bak up my desktop, thats where the messed up BIN is and i dont want to drag messed up system files or anything else to the new install
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:22 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy361 View Post
can you refresh memory on how to boot from cd upon turning on computer??

so once its all installed, clean install, i mean, do you think i should then do the restore part of my files that i backed up, THEN go to windows updates and get all updates needed as well as serv pack 2?

when i do a vista backup and restore, will it allow me to backup the browser i use too ? i dont know that i want to bak up my desktop, thats where the messed up BIN is and i dont want to drag messed up system files or anything else to the new install
Most computers are already set to boot from CD/DVD first, but if yours isn't:
restart you computer and go into the BIOS
Then select BIOS Settings
then Boot order
put your CD/DVD first
*actual BIOS labels may vary*

After your fresh install of Vista restore your files then do updates. That order doesn't really matter since you are not saving any programs. Get all availble updates. Keeping your computer up to date is the best way to stay protected from malware and possible errors.

During the backup process you can select certian folder that you want to keep (Pictures, music, etc...) that way you can say what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of. Like I said earlier, you can backup you bookmarks but actually backing up your browser itself is a bit more tricky. Since it is firefox, I recommend just re-downloading it from mozilla. If you have a special theme or something of that nature, in firefox select Tools, the select Add-ons, take note of the name of the theme and anything else that you want to have and you will have to redownload it seperately.

Again, if you don't want to backup your desktop just deselect it from your backup.
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:07 PM

thanks for all the info Jazz....
on another board i was told that vistas backup and restore isnt reliable .. whats your thoughts on this? i never used it before
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM

not sure if i mentioned this before, but just choosing music and pictures, will that pick up all the music files and same with pictures? i have itunes AS WELL AS rhapsody and music stored in WMP library and all my pictures are kodak pictures. trouble is if i go to C, users, nancy, and the kodak picture folder, not all the pics are in there.. seems some or a lot are in PUBLIC folder or shared folder.... and itunes has its own folder as well as rest i think..

so in order to get MUSIC FOLDER and PICTURE FOLDER, to have those things all in it so it backups correctly, is there something i should do? like move folders into just 1 picture & music so its ALL in 1 place?

backup and restore may not pick up all the files cause they are in a different place...

and i recall what you said about backing up bookmarks in firefox..... BUT if i cant backup the browser and have to download a new firefox, then my backedup bookmarks wont be there anymore since its a newly installed browser....

1 more if i may??? i can back up contacts within my windows mail, but what about windows mail itself? like current emails in my inbox and deleted mail in delete box.. does backup have something to save all that too?
Old September 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM

you know what the big thing is ,,, what i want to do is organize all the pictures folders and files(kodak) and ALL the music folders and files... all INTO C: users NANCY.... NOT having these all over the place... like in nancy documents, are some pictures in a folder and in C users PUBLIC are some pictures, in a kodak folder, some music is in a shared folder in users nancy etc etc .. see where im going with this?? if i can group these things into C users NANCY instead of USERS PUBLIC or somewhere else.... then everything thats in C USERS NANCY will be all the things i want... follow me?
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:51 PM

Yes, I follow you. If you put all of your pictures in one place (I suggest C:\Users\Nancy\Pictures) and Music all in one place (C:\Users\Nancy\Music) then be sure to include those in your backup, should be included by default.

With your firefox question, after you have the backup of your bookmarks and install the new firefox, that is when you do the restore process I described earlier in the new firefox. That way your new firefox will have all of your old bookmarks. Does that make sense? Restoring your backup(of bookmarks only) in the new firefox will put all of your bookmarks where they belong. This entire paragraph is pertaining to firefox only.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:05 PM

Unhappy

i must sound like a pain, i can only imagine.....

thats the problem, how to or attempt to put all the music where it should be... i have best buy digital rhapsody as well as itunes.. copying just the folder wont work, right? i have to OPEN the actual itunes folder and copy all the contents? and copying it to the music folder,i tried , but when i click paste i dont see anything in the music folder.... should i make a new folder saying itunes, within the music folder 1st? then copy and paste inside that folder within music?? seems all the file folder paths are in program files too... funny it sound easy to do, move a folder to a different place.. but like i said, moving JUST a folder wont work, i have to open the folder and copy the files inside?? im so frustrated with this all. i google left and right to get answers outside of this site and vista64tutorials......all this crap for a messed up recycle bin among other things ill bet, too. half the time i have to find out where the folders are so i can move and organize them...

Last edited by nancy361; September 1st, 2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:24 PM

I would make a folder in your music folder labeled iTunes(C:\users\Nancy\Music\iTunes). Find that actual music files in the iTunes folder (something like C:\Program Files\iTunes\music) copy the music files themselves and paste the directly into the newly created iTunes folder with the music folder. Do the same for the Rhapsody music. Make sure that you create the new folders in your music folder, not public music folder.

I apologize if I am not being clear.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:36 PM

you are being clear, not to worry. its me that gets frustrated. Im NOT illiterate when it comes to the computer, i just go blank and have to recall doing these things before....

ive been copying and pasting and nothing shows up.. im ready to throw this system out the window.... hahahaha
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM

1st i was wondering, why is it, in C users nancy i see the list of things, contacts favs etc etc and the COLOR of the folder is greenish yet other folders INCLUDING MUSIC is that yellowish? app data is yellow as well as shared. does that matter?

yet while trying to create a NEW USER account, nancyshome, ALL the folder colors which are empty of course, cause nothing in them yet, are ALL greenish.

anyways in user nancy music, there is itunes folder. click to open it and it shows
3 yellow folders saying artwork, itunes music, itunes prev library THEN shows 3 music notes pics instead of a folder picture, and then itll say itunes library, itunes genious itunes extras

THEN when i go into program files theres about 15 items, 5 are folders with resources itunes mini resources cd configs., moz plug ins then the biggest is the itunes APPlication
all that stuff... it seems like the music is in the other folder doesnt it?? user nancy music itunes??

whats funny is, i cant get my comp to even format the new dvd-r disc i just bought to do a back up... i dont get the autoplay box when i put disc in and so i click on comp then dvd/cd e drive and still no autoplay box. i right click on dvd drive and click format and it says insert a disc. there is a disc in it already.... i have a 48x CD-rw/dvd combo drive.... wont this disc work in this??