Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM

oh really?? geez i pay 40 bucs a yr or more to renew this. is there another antivirus protection you would recommend for my computer??, something that works better at picking up these things.. i dont know why it didnt pick this up. what about these free software protections? any suggestions? if so ill get rid of mcafee then...
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Well I use Rising and it's freeware. It's nice and light, easy to use and updates automatically (leave the default setting in place for updates - Automatic). Extra features too that are usually only available in the "pro" (paid) version" of antivirus software. See Rising Antivirus Free Edition.
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM

and you have the free version or paid?? i never heard of it... i guess thats what i wonder, why these other antivirus softwares cost money , like norton and mcafee etc... yet there are others like yours or avast, my sister uses, and others that are free and work just as good.... how does that happen that some pay for protection when they dont have to and can get just as good protection...

also with vista home basic, i have windows defender, cant that work on its own? do i have to have something else other then that? i do know defender doesnt work as long as i have another virus protection, its 1 or the other...
Old August 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM

this is what i read on rising...

The latest Rising Antivirus Free Edition has the same service and function as Rising Antivirus 2009 paid version, but there are some differences which need users to know:

***2. Update Service:
RISING paid version product gets update through high speed update server each day, but Rising Antivirus Free Edition product does not;***

YOU must have pd version in order to get updates free, right??

3. Technical support:
RISING provides fast response technical support to each paid version product user; but the support to RISING free version product user may be limited;
4. Users buy Rising Antivirus paid version can get a Rising Firewall with same service life in FREE; but Rising Antivirus Free version users could not.
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

I have the free version and it does get free updates. Just not from the fast server. I also use the Windows Firewall. Have a look at the link I posted Nancy (Functions and Advantages). No other free antivirus offers technical support. Some do provide forums but the help is provided by users just like here.
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM

seems like the BIN is doing something else now.. it still shows its full but when i open it there is nothing in there... now just a moment ago i sent something else to the BIN. i didnt empty ityet , so i opened it and the stuff i sent to the bin wasnt even in there at all... but when go to empty the BIN it say do you want to delete the 3 items in here, so now not only does it show its full when it is supposed to be empty, it doesnt show any files that were sent there before it gets emptied..... there has to be a way to completely get rid of the bin and start fresh..... i did try the disabling of mcafee before remember? and it didnt do anything with the BIN issues.... any ideas?
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:44 PM

i just noticed you are from new zealand??? wow, whats it like there?? always wanted to go there.... time zone is way different isnt it, from here in eastern US
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

Yes, most people in the US are sleeping when I am posting.

Quote:
i did try the disabling of mcafee before remember? and it didnt do anything with the BIN issues.... any ideas?
Yes I remember but sometimes software has to be uninstalled to gauge whether or not it is responsible for certain problems. Have you uninstalled McAfee and any associated McAfee software yet? If not, why not contact their tech support and speak to them about this issue. They should walk you through an uninstall and reinstall of their software if you wish to keep it. McAfee Shredder has caused Recycle Bin corruption in the past.
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:41 AM

no i havent uninstalled it yet...when i do maintenance with mcafee they ask me if i want to use shredder, but i never do, i just do the other way of deleting.. i just dont want to be without any protection, if i uninstall it.... i do recall asking them why it didnt catch this mess i had, they said sometimes viruses just get thru and they cant always catch it, (mcafee)...well for 40+ dollars a yr to have this it better detect ALL.....

what do you know of vistas defender?? can that be used solely as virus and malware and spyware protection or no? defender has firewall too as does mcafee...but as you know, only 1 software can be used, so since mcafee is running and default protector, defender cant be enabled... if i decide to use Rising or something else, i have to uninstall mcafee, right?? again, you have rising, do you also use vistas defender, or no?? i also have yahoo toolbar which has an antispy too... i dont know if its all that good as some other spybots etc etc.. i had to download malwarebytes and hijackthis, in order to get rid of the virus. i can use them NOW cant i to help keep things clean?
thanks
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:43 AM
CTH Subscriber

Nancy no antivirus software is infallible. Staying safe means using several strategies. Please read "How to help prevent re-infection" in my signature.

No you cant rely on Windows Defender and MalwareBytes antispyware to protect you. It's fine to keep MBAM and run it in conjunction with an antivirus program but you do need to have dedicated antivirus software installed.

Quote:
no i havent uninstalled it yet...when i do maintenance with mcafee they ask me if i want to use shredder, but i never do, i just do the other way of deleting.. i just dont want to be without any protection, if i uninstall it
Yes I understand that but it's the only way we are going to find out if McAfee is causing the problem. It may not be McAfee but in view of the past issues with it, it is a logical suspect.
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM

i was wondering, i was just looking at my malware bytes and the 4 quarantined trojans found etc are still listed in quarantined tab. should i delete them ??
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:39 PM

AnnMarie, i completely uninstalled mcafee and restarted comp. but recycle bin still the same.... it still shows its full yet when i OPEN it it is empty. but i click on empty the bin and it says do you want to delete these 2 files.. so it shows its full yet when open it is empty, but if i click empty it it seems to think there are still files in it. so i click yes to empty it and it still shows a full bin.... this is very baffling...

ALSO, i downloaded and installed free version of rising.... it is version 21.53.24 after i updated it.... is there anything i should set or do so it scans and updates by itself? it appears the default says every 2hrs on sunday to update or scan.... what is best settings all around you would recommmend??

and is there anything else we can do for this BIN issue?
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

You can delete the items from quarantine if you want to. It doesnt really matter because they are locked up and cannot do any harm. You dont have to do anything with Rising. Provided you havent changed any settings. it will update itself automatically and run a scan periodically.

You have uninstalled all McAfee software right? If so, what I want you to do now is to go here and download and run the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR.exe) according to the instructions. Reboot afterwards please.

Next, disable Rising. To do this, rightclick on the Icon in the bottom righthand corner of your screen and choose Disable. Type in the verification code. Now, please try rerunning both fixes from the links I posted earlier (recyclebin_icon.reg and the fix for corruption). Reboot after each fix and only proceed to the second fix if the first didnt work.
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM

i already did the MCPR. and rebooted after all was uninstalled... and i didnt download rising yet either.... it didnt do anything to the bin...

what i noticed is that when i right click on the BIN it shows down the bottom 0 items... it doesnt show that anything is in there even though i sent files to it.. i click empty the bin and itll ask if im sure i want to delete these 4 files.. so it really is messed up... says 0 items yet i click to empty it and itll say there are items to delete and still shows its full... really corrupted huh?? ill try those 2 things again and let you know what happens.
thanks Ann for your help with this. sorry nothing works so far
Old August 26th, 2009, 10:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
and i didnt download rising yet either
I must be missing something. I thought you said you downloaded and installed Rising?