Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM

Question is my recycle bin corrupted??

i have vista home basic 32 bit....

ive been having issues with recycle bin(folder) icon, all....

i send something to recycle bin, when i go to empty the bin i HEAR the sound it makes, but the IMAGE of trash full is still showing as is the contents in the bin is still there. I have tried that switching the icon full and empty etc and it did nothing. stupid as it may sound , i cant find the bin(folder). seems whatever i try to do it will not empty it as it used to do.... only thing that seems to empty it, is when i use my mcafee protection that i have and i go to the part that helps me maintain my comp. it will go thru the bin and folders and registry etc and clean things or whatever, that will empty the bin. but normal usage of me clicking on icon to empty it doesnt work....

not sure what to do at this point to FIX it for good. also i did try that elevated command prompt too and that emptied it, BUT its temporary, a 1 time thing...

anyone have any ideas of this issue?? thanks for your time
nancy
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:32 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi nancy361. McAfee might be causing the problem. Try this please. Send some files to the Recycle Bin and then cleanboot your computer (see here, Step 1: Perform a clean boot). Dont troubleshoot it yet and make sure you dont download anything or surf to dodgy sites while you are running in this state because McAfee will be disabled. Does your Recycle Bin empty now?
Old August 21st, 2009, 12:43 AM

hi ann marie, thanks for your help, but it didnt work... i believe its corrupted because i had a PAV.exe malware and a trojan on this comp over the wknd... i think i got rid of it but not quite sure. i posted on the malware site about it... thats why i think its a bad bin due to attempting to put the file or whatever into the bin, since then its been bad....

my goofy son was on limewire for all of minutes and BAM, i saw the thing come on and download itself and then keep showing me balloons saying to click on it due to all the viruses on my comp. i knew it was rogue and left it be.... like i said i think its gone but spybot found the file or thing today and i may have fixed it but i dont know how to get to a good clean restore point so it doesnt come back, anyways it ruined the recycle bin.. i cant even find the folder for bin in C drive....
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ah I see. Nancy, I think it would be a good idea to wait for help in the Malware Removal Forum before continuing with this topic. If your operating system is still infected, removal of the malware may solve the problem. Post back here when you have been given the "all clear" and update us please.
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:09 AM

yes, so far i havent gotten any replies to it yet... the shield that came along with this rogue personal anti virus, PAV along with the trojan and all else are gone.. but whatever happened because of it left the recycle bin affected, im pretty sure... i ran windows live onecare and that removed it all as well as spybot today and i run a full scan from mcafee. its not detected anymore. but as i said, ive read that people should CLEAN the computer and do a system restore or something to that affect so as this doesnt come back ...so i have to learn how to do that and hopefully from malware forum i can get help... UNLESS someone here knows what can be done to fix the BIN.... if somebody wants to find the bin (folder) in OS C, how do i go about finding it and opening it or whatever?? i realize the rec bin IS a folder in and of itself, maybe something has to be done to fix it a certain way.....thanks
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

The Malware Removal Forum is quite busy however you will be helped. Just be patient. There are various fixes for Vista Recycle Bin issues however as I said earlier, I do think you should wait until you have the all clear. The malware you were infected with often installs a rootkit and Spybot cannot remove that. Special tools are needed to detect and remove it.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM

Hi AnnMarie

Malware forum, TOUCH, helped me clean the computer up... its fine now, BUT recycle bin issue still there... i sent a file to it clicked empty bin and i hear the sound it makes but it still shows full and stuff inside is still there....

so any ideas how to fix this other then what i said i tried in original post and what you said to try?

nancy
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

Excellent. Ok, go here and download recyclebin_icon.reg and follow the instructions. Reboot afterwards and tell me if the problem is resolved.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:41 PM

hi Ann

did what you said and NO it didnt do anything... i also once again did the switch icon full and empty thing and it didnt do anything... like i said it makes that trash sound, but it still is full.

when i click to open the bin folder it shows me the box, it says when file was created and when it was deleted (9hrs ago) i click restore, but nothing happens... so i wonder if it is in fact deleted BUT it still shows its there in the bin and bin shows its full still even though i empty it...anymore ideas???
thanks
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:16 AM
CTH Subscriber

Ok, try Ramesh's other fix for corruption. See here. Reboot again and let me know if this helped.
Old August 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM

thanks, but all that did was fix it just the one time... after its empty i send something else to the bin and then go to empty it and it does same thing... makes the sound and still shows its full... geez i wonder what can be causing this, there has to be a way to fix this thing
Old August 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM

what about this...http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...le-folder.html
method 1 is what you had me do, what about 2? and can you simplify that instructions a bit for me for my computer....
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

It wont make any difference. It's just another way of doing what you have already done. I still suspect McAfee is causing this problem Nancy however the only way to know for certain is to uninstall McAfee and reboot. Take a note of your Product Key first so you can reinstall it if it proves not to be the culprit.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM

how would i go about reinstalling it again, if it was downloaded from the site? i dont have a disk or anything.. and like i said, the bin worked fine up until this infection came about . so if it is the mcafee , why would it cause this to happen NOW and not before this virus??

where is the product key located? if i have no cd to install it
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

Sorry Nancy, I am not a McAfee user so you will have to direct all questions regarding McAfee to their tech support team.

Quote:
and like i said, the bin worked fine up until this infection came about . so if it is the mcafee , why would it cause this to happen NOW and not before this virus??
It is quite common for malware to corrupt antivirus software and McAfee in particular has a history of having hissy fits following an infection it cannot deal with.