Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
YAMAHA XG SoftSynthesizer S-YXG50 on Vista x64?

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64, and as a result of my upgrade to Vista from XP I had to give up my beloved YAMAHA S-YXG50. Installing it on Vista seems impossible, even with compatibility settings tweaked. So, as a last attempt at rescuing this software before giving up on it completely, can anyone tell me if there's ANY hope of getting this to work on my current operating system?

In case you're wondering that this software is:

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Yamaha_S-YXG50/

Thanks guys
Old April 14th, 2009, 03:34 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyM View Post
Installing it on Vista seems impossible, even with compatibility settings tweaked.
Have you tried setting the installer (Setup.exe) to run in compatibility mode before clicking it?
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
Have you tried setting the installer (Setup.exe) to run in compatibility mode before clicking it?
Thanks for the reply

Yes, and this does let me install the program, but when I reboot after installing it I can't use the driver. There is a setup application which lets you tweak how the driver manages MIDI files, but it doesn't seem to exist when I install the software on Vista (it uses rundll32). I use Guitar Pro, which is a MIDI tablature editor, and it's with this program that I use the Yamaha Soft Synth driver, but the driver doesn't appear in the sound options which seems to indicate that it isn't installed correctly.

Even when I tried uninstalling it I got the error "This program requires Windows XP", so I had to use the compatibility tweak on the uninstaller too haha.

Cheers!
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM
CTH Subscriber

Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 will install on Vista and then you can install Windows XP on Virtual PC 2007.

This would allow you to have Windows XP in a window on your Vista Desktop. And...Virtual PC 2007 is free from Microsoft.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 will install on Vista and then you can install Windows XP on Virtual PC 2007.

This would allow you to have Windows XP in a window on your Vista Desktop. And...Virtual PC 2007 is free from Microsoft.
I actually already have an XP installation on a virtual drive! Great minds think alike It seems like a lot of hassle to boot it up just for this, though. Ideally I'd like to be able to use it within Vista itself.

Thanks chief
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
CTH Subscriber

You probably have to evolve into another program.

I tried finding an authors site but it seems that YAMAHA XG SoftSynthesizer may possibly be the only program
that author ever made. No reference to it other than where you pointed to and it doesn't list compatible O/Ss but
obviously Vista is not one of them.

A friend of mine uses a synth program for his music, I just can't recall the name of it at the moment but I will ask him
and get back to you on that. He is big on midi composing from scratch.
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
You probably have to evolve into another program.

I tried finding an authors site but it seems that YAMAHA XG SoftSynthesizer may possibly be the only program
that author ever made. No reference to it other than where you pointed to and it doesn't list compatible O/Ss but
obviously Vista is not one of them.

A friend of mine uses a synth program for his music, I just can't recall the name of it at the moment but I will ask him
and get back to you on that. He is big on midi composing from scratch.
I really appreciate your time with this!

The Guitar Pro program I mentioned is basically MIDI authoring from scratch, so hopefully your buddy's software will appease my needs

Cheers!!
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

Cakewalk makes something called SONAR by Roland Vista ready
Sonar is the newer version of Cakewalk. My friend says Sonar "phones home" (sends information back to program creators)
and if you didn't want that then older versions are called Cakewalk and they don't phone home.

Cubase Vista ready

Another friend I have uses ACID Pro 7 I don't know if it's a midi but he does a lot of music arranging.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Cakewalk makes something called SONAR by Roland Vista ready
Sonar is the newer version of Cakewalk. My friend says Sonar "phones home" (sends information back to program creators)
and if you didn't want that then older versions are called Cakewalk and they don't phone home.

Cubase Vista ready

Another friend I have uses ACID Pro 7 I don't know if it's a midi but he does a lot of music arranging.
I have SONAR, but you can't use it in conjunction with Guitar Pro unfortunately

The next version of Guitar Pro will be coming with a much more realistic sound engine so I'll probably be fine using that. I'll miss my wee Yamaha Soft Synth though haha.

Cheers mate, you time is greatly appreciated
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

Your welcome.

If it were me I'd run XP on VirtualPC 2007.

It's no different than starting up the Yamaha program only one more window to start (VirtualPC) before starting Yamaha.
No Vista reboot necessary, VirtualPC starts and stops with Vista running. And again, since VirtualPC 2007 is free then there
is no expenditure to alter your music routine to fit Vista.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Your welcome.

If it were me I'd run XP on VirtualPC 2007.

It's no different than starting up the Yamaha program only one more window to start (VirtualPC) before starting Yamaha.
No Vista reboot necessary, VirtualPC starts and stops with Vista running. And again, since VirtualPC 2007 is free then there
is no expenditure to alter your music routine to fit Vista.
The Yamaha program doesn't have a separate window (although there is an option MIDI player, which I don't use). I just use it as an alternative audio driver in Guitar Pro.

I use Virtual PC for other purposes, but I'll probably consider using it for this now if there's no hope for any kind of Vista x64 compatibility

Cheers mate!
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:42 PM

hello everybody!!!

i have a windows 7 ultimate laptop, installed a Virtual PC with windows XP MODE, i can install the yamaha XG Softsynthesizer, buuuut... every audio played on the windows xp mode sounds chopped... a check and windows xp mode uses a creative sound blaster 16 as the audio driver... what can i do to improve the audio quality?
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:52 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Duplicate post. Topic closed.
Closed Topic