Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Nothing we have done could possibly have caused all the problems you are reporting bowlinbob6. You did report an unexpected shutdown though and this may have caused some file corruption.

In the main, we have have just run information gathering utilities however we did remove spyware from this computer in the process. The utilties I used have been used on thousands of Vista operating systems and not once have any of the problems you reported occurred with the exception of the date change. However that only happens when ComboFix (the only utility that we ran that can make system changes) is prevented from completing it's run by external sources.

Yes, go ahead and run System Restore.
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:28 AM

I did, but thanks again for showing me what file was causing the problem
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:33 AM
CTH Subscriber

No problem.
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:35 AM

maybe it was when I ran the CCleaner? it messed up a few things when i tried to run an online game. (fixed now)
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

I think that CCleaner is very likely to be the culprit. It has caused lot's of problems in the past and will continue to do so. I just cannot recommend this software at all. I rarely recommend using a registry cleaner of any type and only when there are compelling reasons to do so.
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:40 AM

Ok :P deleting those java updates right now.. hopefully this will be the end of it.
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:03 AM

gah now im getting the error message even tho i uninstalled those 3 previous versions -.- i give up. I hate computers and computers hate me.

Last edited by bowlinbob6; April 21st, 2008 at 05:34 AM.
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM

well problem is fixed, contacted hp and here's what they had me do. They had me go to Task Sheduler then the Task Scheduler Library and delete all of the programs listed. The they had me co to msconfig>then Startup tab- and uncheck all of the programs except for a few. KBD,NVIDIA,Windows,and Microsoft programs were left checked.
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

I am glad that all is well now bowlinbob6.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM

I'm having the same problem. I'm running Windows Vista, and I believe the problem started after I updated Sun Java. I get an application error about schtasks.exe failing to initialize.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to computers. Can someone tell me how to fix this? In baby steps?

I seem to have the latest version of Java. I also found this:

C:\Windows\system32\jusched.exe

Which AnnMarie posted earlier as being an error. I checked and found it in Windows Explorer.

So is there an easy fix for this? I wish I had someone I could call to talk me through it on the phone. I always dread screwing something up and then I can't even get online for more advice.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

Hi NewbieTechGuy. So far this issue appears to be peculiar to Hewlett Packard machines and may be a result of the interaction of the Java update with their OEM software.

Quote:
I wish I had someone I could call to talk me through it on the phone.
Do you have a Hewlett Packard too? If so, give their tech support a call as bowlinbob6 did.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 12:28 AM

I do have an HP, but I loathe calling HP tech support. I always get some idiot who doesn't even speak English and who is doing nothing more than reading notes off the computer. They don't know what they're doing, and if something goes wrong they can't help.

Is there a step by step fix you can give me?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

I have a different approach to this than the HP Techs. They merely disabled the startup. I prefer to undo the problem and get it right. This will take a little longer though. If you still want my help, I would like to see your startups please.

Go here and download Silent Runners.vbs to a new folder on your Desktop (Clicking the the download link works if you use IE. If you use FireFox, rightclick on the link and choose "Save Link As") and run it. It generates a log too. It takes a minute or two and it will notify you with a popup when your log is ready (make sure you wait for the popups please) Please post the information back in this thread too (you may need to make a couple of posts). If your antivirus program queries the script, allow it to run. It's not malicious.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:32 AM

Downloaded it and ran it, but I cannot open the file. It's listed as:

ntuser.dat.LOG1

When I try to open it in Notepad or Wordpad, it keeps telling me it's being used by another process, whatever that means.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM

It also won't let me delete, move, rename, or open the file. I have two of them.

ntuser.dat.LOG1(256kb)
ntuser.dat. (0 bytes)

Neither one can be opened, moved, etc. Now what? I hate computers!