Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 15th, 2008, 02:11 AM

Printer error 0x00000006

Just got a new PC with Vista Premium. I am having an aweful time getting the printer to go. The printer is a Lexmark z600. When trying to print a test page I get the error message "Operation could not be completed" (error 0x00000006). The system says the printer is ready. I am at my witts end trying to resolve Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Did you download and install Vista drivers for the printer?

If not, try the drivers you can download from this Lexmark page. It says that they're the Vista drivers for a Z605 but after a little checking, it looks like the Vista drivers are the same for all 600-series printers.

Do not click the Run button when it asks you what you want to do with the file. Click the Save button, remember where you tell it to save to and when the download is finished, find the downloaded file and double click it to run it. I recommend you first uninstall the drivers you've already installed if they are not Vista drivers.
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:26 AM

Try typing that error into the browser of 'Google.com' and see what you get? I know you'll get an answer to this question.
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
Did you download and install Vista drivers for the printer?

If not, try the drivers you can download from this Lexmark page. It says that they're the Vista drivers for a Z605 but after a little checking, it looks like the Vista drivers are the same for all 600-series printers.

Do not click the Run button when it asks you what you want to do with the file. Click the Save button, remember where you tell it to save to and when the download is finished, find the downloaded file and double click it to run it. I recommend you first uninstall the drivers you've already installed if they are not Vista drivers.
You know... I can't find the drivers previously downloaded now?!?!?! Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?? Also... when trying to download the Vista driver I keep getting another message... Internet Explorer can't download - connection with the server reset! Do you think I could just "run" from the download page? I'm bonkin out I do appreciate all your help...
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy N. View Post
Try typing that error into the browser of 'Google.com' and see what you get? I know you'll get an answer to this question.
This was the first thing I tried.. (one dead end after another)...then I did a search here
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Trying to install anything from the web is risky and I think trying it with drivers is even riskier. A borked driver installation can really mess things up.

Have you tried the driver download again? Any download is dependent on net traffic and server load...which can change by the minute.
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
Trying to install anything from the web is risky and I think trying it with drivers is even riskier. A borked driver installation can really mess things up.

Have you tried the driver download again? Any download is dependent on net traffic and server load...which can change by the minute.

I know you are right. I will not try the "run" option. Seems like we have tried to download it a gazillion times though... My hubby went today and purchased another printer that clearly states it is Vista ready (HP). He has it perched near by (un-packed) for the moment he experiences "the last straw"...which is precariously close to pouncing .

Thanks.
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Well, that's the approach I took when my older printer didn't want to play nicely with Vista. Printers are cheap enough so I just gave the old one to my mother-in-law (who is running XP) and bought a new one. It works just fine.