Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old October 4th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

What error did you have with Symantec in Safe Mode? Networking shouldn't be a factor in anything except online resources, so Symantec should run that Safe Mode scan without issues.

The file in question is not quite yet identified, but is determined by at least one security vendor as a "good" file, and as we have not really seen any infection to speak of this is more an issue of making sure things work well for you there.
Old October 5th, 2007, 02:38 AM

I got a nudge in the right direction about that My Web Search Service from earlier on - both my word use was off and my XP steps just are not Vista use items. In addition to still checking back here about what Symantec error you are receiving do the following:

Go to Start Search and type

cmd

Cmd.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as Administrator. Now type the below commands and hit "Enter" after each line

sc stop MyWebSearchService (you may get a message saying the service is not running. That's fine, type the below command next)

sc delete MyWebSearchService

Type Exit to close and boot into Safe Mode (restart your Computer and tap F8 continuously as it restarts). Open Computer and make sure that you can view view hidden files and folders and navigate to C:\Program Files and open the Program Files folder. Look for MyWebSearch and delete it.
Old October 6th, 2007, 03:48 PM

O/S: Windows Vista
As for the symantec scan when I run either the full or quick scan from safe mode this warning pops up:

Could not start scan. scan engine returning error 0x20000003
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM

THANK YOU! Those new steps seem to have worked. MyWebSearch is no longer appearing in Spybot's scans. That seems to be over with at least!

The only other thing I'm concerned about is that, while it is no longer throwing up multiple security warning which freeze my computer, my security center is still telling me that my malware is out of date. I've run the live update several times, however, and this still dosen't change. I can only think of two things, either I've switched something off in all this and need to change it back, or MS is being stupid and wants me to run its 'Windows Defender' instead (which is prompted as an option in the security center). Either those or, did PC doctor have anything to do with malware protection?
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM

One last thing that may help you understand the...um... "freak out" that my computer had and how it got fixed. I have a lenovo thinkpad and that 'Rescue and Recovery' thing that ran on reboot was lenovo. It said something about opening under the last successful configuration. I hope that helps.
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM

That MyWebSearch removal, in part, was input from one who knows Vista well beyond my current limited knowledge. I sense much of what you are experiencing here is the results of software and settings conflicts related to your Vista operating system, so to get these corrected in a more efficient manner let's move your request to our Vista forum now.
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:32 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi CurvyBootcut. To save me reading through four pages of this topic, can you please outline exactly what your current problem is please and post any error messages in full.
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:42 PM

My security center won't stop listing Symantec Antivirus out of date no matter how many up dates I run. It was fine before I started adjusting security settings to get rid of the 'MyWebSearch.' so either I've changed something that probably should be changed back or the timing is a coincidence and Symantec is just choosing now to start acting up. I started a new topic under the vista forum where a described what happened in detail: "Security center warnings causing concerns (Symantec)".
Old October 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Ok, I'll post in your other topic and close this one.
Closed Topic