Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old January 30th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

I saw those Norton registry references and assumed it was still there. Yes, AVG Free would only be the antivirus software portion of it's package. Let's remove those Norton security remnants on the outside chance they are involved in some way. It could be something Spyware Doctor is doing as well, but let's do the following first.

Did you yourself make these settings there (check in Security Center in Control Panel - they are currently turned off)?

"UacDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"InternetSettingsDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"AutoUpdateDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

Code:
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecAntiVirus]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\Monitoring\SymantecFirewall]
Open Notepad (Start Search, type Notepad then press OK), and copy the text inside the box above and paste it into the open Notepad textbox.

Save this to your desktop as "fixer.reg"

Be sure to include the "" quotes in the name.

Then right click fixer.reg, select Merge, and allow it to merge the new information with the Registry.

Not real sure that could impact this firewall issue there but go ahead and reboot and check that an post back an update please.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM

Hi there,

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by the first part of your post. When I go to Security Centre in Control Panel I get the page where I turn on Windows Firewall each time I reboot.

I wasn't sure what to do with this information either:
"UacDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"InternetSettingsDisableNotify"=dword:00000001
"AutoUpdateDisableNotify"=dword:00000001

I did the "fixer.reg" registry merge and after reboot I was still notified that Windows Firewall needed to be turned on.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM

That is all that shows in the Security Center display? Just need to know before we make some additional registry changes.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM

I've taken a screen print of what I see. I've expanded all the sections for the screen print. After a reboot, the first section, 'Firewall', has a red dot by it instead of green and says Off instead of On.

Actually I can't seem to post you a screen print... Sorry

On a panel on the left there there are the following options in a list:
Windows Update
Windows Firewall
Windows defender
Internet Options
Get the latest security and virus information online from Microsoft
Change the way Securoty Centre alerts me

In the main panel there is:
Security Essentials
To help protect your computer, make sure the four security essentials below are marked On or OK.
Using Windows Securty Centre
Firewall
Automatic Updating
Malware Protection
other Securoty settings

Each of the last 4 options are expandable.

Hope that paints a picture for you!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:26 PM

You have them right. Are these green or red right now (expand the second one to see)?

Automatic Updating

Other security settings:
Internet security settings
User Account Control
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM

All the dots from the main menu are green, except the top one, 'Firewall' after a reboot. It goes green when I turn the firewall on, but I have to do this each time I reboot. All dots are green in the expanded areas, although there are no subheadings under the second heading (Automatic Updating), just a description of what auto updating is.
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:09 AM

Let me ask some Vista folks for ideas on this.
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:26 AM

I am still reviewing with others Bridette. For now though the logs show some Norton remnants there, so Go here and download the Norton Removal Tool that is appropriate for your version. Then close all open windows and disable all protective software, and click the downloaded file to completely remove Norton from your system. If the removal does not cause a reboot reboot after the tool has completed the removal. Be sure to save all registration keys before running the tool if you plan to reinstall Norton later.

If you do not recall the version that is okay - the same tool is used for most versions.
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:43 PM

Ok, that's all done. Let me know if I need to post anything else helpful back here for you.

Thanks again,
Brid
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:14 AM

Some Vista Moderator help for us here to use now, and just see if making some registry corrections will fix the firewall issue.

Click here and download VistaFirewallFix.reg to your desktop. Then right click that file and select "merge" and agree to the warnings to allow it to merge with your registry. Then reboot, and check to see if you now can reset the firewall without issues (you may need an additional reboot to test that).
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM

All done. 'Fraid it hasn't changed the alert at all. Sorry!
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:01 AM

Let's go ahead then with a return of all the default service start settings there, to include addressing issues related to "dependencies" (things needing other things).

Go here, scroll down and download the following zip file:

Default Windows Vista SP1 Services Start Key:

Download the Vista Home Basic SP1 32-bit File:
Default Vista Home Basic SP1 32-bit Start v1.03.zip ~ Version 1.03 ~ January 27, 2009

Make sure it is that particular one. Then unzip that, and in the new folder created locate the !Default_WinVista_Home_Basic_SP1_32_Start_v103.reg file.

Right click that and again agree to the warnings to allow it to merge with your registry. Then reboot, and check to see if you now can reset the firewall without issues (and again you may need an additional reboot to test that).
Old February 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM

No problems in doing that. Still no change in the Windows Security Centre warnings. Seems to be a tricky little issue, it's great to have some help with it :-)
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:25 AM

I would like to move your request over to the CTH Vista forum, where folks who are truly better versed in Vista can assists with this issue.
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Bridette. I would like to see different logs please.

Go here and download DDS to your Desktop. Rightclick on DDs.scr and choose "Run as Administrator". If your security software includes script blocking features, please disable these before you run this utility. When the scan has finished, DDS.txt will open. You will also be asked if you want to perform the Optional scan. Click Yes and save both reports to your Desktop. Copy and paste both reports in this topic. The logs will be reasonably large so you may have to divide them into sections and make several posts to post them.

Your computer has been infected since November last year and it's possible that file or registry corruption has occurred since then. Trying to find the issue now might be like looking for a needle in a haystack. Do you have an installation DVD or access to one?