Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
"Windows cannot create a shortcut. Check to see if your disk is full"

This is a new annoyance that has recently been popping up on my Vista OS whenever I want to create a new desktop icon and I believe that it started around the time that I installed 2GB of Memory into my computer. Any ideas about what might be causing it and how to fix it? I have 100+ GB on my hard disk so I'm not quite sure what is going on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old December 11th, 2008, 04:27 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi butlerd. I dont really know what is going on but let's see if it's a file association problem.

Go here and download and run the lnk file association fix for Vista. This will restore the default settings. Reboot afterwards and tell me if this helped.
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:56 AM

Thanks! I'll try it. I noticed awhile back that Windows apparently (automatically) resized all of my desktop icons and made them slightly smaller and I've never figured out how or why it happened and/or how to change them back to their original size. I do have quite a few icons on my desktop but I've never heard of Windows limiting the amount of icons on the desktop before.

Old December 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

It sounds as though your Display settings were changed. You might want to look for an update for your video card driver on the Manufacturers site (or Dell, Compaq etc) if you have a brand name computer. The number of Icons are not limited.
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:17 AM

Gave it a shot and it didn't work. In addition to the aforementioned error message, I've been getting other messages suggesting that I don't have permission to place new icons on the desktop and I noticed on the context menu that the "new" line does not allow me to create a new shortcut. I'm thinking that I must've selected some kind of policy or "protection" that is preventing me from adding desktop icons (other than ones created by newly installed programs). I have been using Total Idea's Tweak VI program but, despite going through the settings several times I can't find any settings that I've made that could be causing the problem, I have never set any group policies, and I'm running an administrator-level account, so...................? I don't think that this is a glitch per se. I just think I must have set something up in some program that is blocking me from adding desktop icons. Do you have any ideas how I might've set Vista up to do this? As much as I love the added security provided by Vista's UAC, I have to admit that it often makes seemingly normal operations such as deleting files and folders frustratingly difficult sometimes.
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
CTH Subscriber

I am sorry butlerd but I not familiar with that program and have no idea what you might have done.

Of you have set a policy, it would normally show in the logs we use to diagnose malware. I'll have a look for you.

Download OldTimer's OTViewIt from here to your desktop,and doubleclick on OTViewIt.exe to start the scan.

When the display opens place a check next to:

Scan All Users

Then click the Run Scan button to start the scan. Once that completes a textbox will open. Copy and paste the contents here for review please. The log can also be found on your desktop as OTViewIt.Txt. It will be a reasonably large log so you may have to divide the log into sections and make several posts to post it. Extras.txt will also be generated. Please post that log as well.
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM

O.k. I seem to have gotten that problem fixed. Basically, I just needed to tame Vista's User Account Control/permissions. I can now add stuff to the desktop without any problems. Thanks again for your help!
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
CTH Subscriber

That's good news butlerd and thanks for the update.
Old January 15th, 2009, 02:55 AM

Butlerd said on his last post, something about ... Basically, I just needed to tame Vista's User Account Control/permissions... I am having the same problem with Windows Vista but need to know exactly how Butlerd tamed the User Account/permissions?