Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:49 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Updates on september 8, 2009 fail

I updated today being that it is patch Tuesday and both my tower and laptop, after a restart, loaded a temporary profile. A simple log off and re login fixed the tower but my laptop didn't do so well. No amount of logging off and re logging in would fix it. I did a system restore and it did came up with an error after the restart from the System Restore. It said that it could not restore the system files. I did a system file check and it came back with it saying that it did found some files corrupted but could not fix them, and gave me a log file. I checked through the log file and my unknowing eye didn't see any errors. I rechecked my updates and they did stick, I am thinking that the system restore wasn't able to change the recently updated files. Did anybody else have this problem, and is there something wrong my log file? How do I fix it?

The updates that were applied to day:

Update for Microsoft Office Outlook Junk E-mail Filter [September 2009] (KB973514)
Update for Silver Light (KB974331)
Update for Windows Mail Junk E-mail Filter [September 2009] (KB905866)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - September 2009 (KB890830)
Security Update for Windows Media Format Runtime 11 for Windows Vista (KB968816)
Security Update for Windows Vista (KB970710)
Security Update for Windows Vista (KB967723)
Security Update for Jscript 5.8 for Windows Vista (KB971961)

Here is a link to the log file.
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Jazz, I havent downloaded the updates yet and probably wont for a few days but you can take advantage of the free support that Microsoft offers for Windows Update issues. You can lodge a free Windows Update support incident request here.
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Thank Ann Marie. I also scanned through my Even Viewer and found this error at the time of the incident:

Windows was unable to load the registry. This problem is often caused by insufficient memory or insufficient security rights.

DETAIL - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. for C:\Users\Jonathan Jasinski\ntuser.dat

I don't know if that helps at all to identify the problem. I will give Microsoft a ring.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:11 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Your profile may have corrupted but it's the type of issue that should be referred to MS in case one of the updates caused the corruption. As the problem occurred on both computers, this is very likely.