Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:55 AM

games wont start

all i use my pc for is gaming and sometiems surfing and a few weeks ago i installed some new windows xp critical updates i missed, then i noticed there was a new catalist driver for radeon video cards, so i install that, and after all of that my games that dont require a cd stopped working( lineage 2 beta, soldner beta) and only games that required a cd to run worked,( UT 2004, battlefield vietnam, splintercell : PT) and 2 days ago ALL my games stopped working, i reformatted my comp installed the windows xp updates and went down to catalist 3.7 drivers, and my games worked until i restarted my comp, im not sure if its a hardware problem or a software problem. most of the error messages say something about general protection fault

system specs:
HP pavilion 554e
ATI radeon 9600 (non pro) vidcard
512 mb DDR ram
atholon xp 2000+ 1.6 GHz
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Never get a video card driver from the Update site, get them from the vendors site ie ATI and apply your favourite driver (4.1's work for me) before applying any updates.

I found formatting the HDD, chucking on your OS and installing the drivers before absolutely anything else worked best.

You might be interested in getting a programme like Driver Cleaner for future use.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:29 AM

i found the problem soon after i posted i had the W32/parite.B virus sory for the post
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:36 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
At least you know the problem and I'm sure there's no need to say sorry