Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Gaming

Notices

Gaming Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of PC & Console Gaming issues

Topic Tools
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM

Every game freezes every 10 secs of late...

After Witcher which I played 2 mths ago(which played fine), pretty much all games seem to freeze every few secs. They unfreeze in 5 secs or so and 10 secs later same old dance. They freeze even while accessing menu. Recently I played Risen and am WORKIN' on Borderlands with freeze issues on both games. Irrespective of graphics settings(settings maxed out or lowest possible settings dont seem to matter) I have this problem. I tried games in both vista and xp with same result. I did everything I can imagine to correct it but couldnt.
I updated drivers, directx, defrag, registry, temp cleaning, even cleaned out my mobo, ram and gpu. I even installed OS on a different HDD to rule out HDD problem. I am totally stumped. Please help.
My specs:
amd athlon x2 6000(@ 3ghz)
asus MVN VM HDMI
4 gb 667 ram
8800gt nvidia @512ram. I guess that's it.

Last edited by samanand; December 8th, 2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM

Okay I was hoping someone faced this problem and would know something about it. Someone? Anyone? Please.
Old December 10th, 2009, 02:26 PM
CTH Subscriber

I'm not familiar with any of those games, but they seem to be online games which makes me suspect there may be an issue with your network settings.
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Hey thanks for reply. No I do not play online games. I'm almost sure its my GPU. Its gets so hot I cant even touch it. Is that normal? Everything else seems to work normally. Please reply.

Last edited by samanand; December 11th, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old December 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Its gets so hot I cant even touch it. Is that normal?
No it's not normal. You said you cleaned out the system, did you use canned/compressed air, and clean out between the heatsink fins? are all the fans running, including the one on the video card? What are the tempertures? you can install pc probe II (which is Asus' monitoring suite), or something like speed fan, if you don't already have monitoring software installed.

Is your mobo actually an M2N-VM HDMI?
Old December 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM

the GPU temp is about 55-60 digs on 0 GPU load, on pc probe and on GPU-z. i know that's not exactly over the top. But for the love of God what else? I cleaned everything including heatsink. I know a few things about systems myself but for the love of me I cant find out what. Its frustrating. My only option is to return my GPU and claim replacement as warranty isnt expired yet. I'm surprised though that it seems this kind of thing hasn't happened to anyone.
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
CTH Subscriber

That's way hot for zero load on the card. For reference the 3870's I have run at 39c for normal operation(fan speed set @ 50%). They'll climb to mid 50's during gaming with the fans set @ 70% of max speed.

The issue may be the overall cooling of the system, if the case is too small, and you don't have the correct airflow through it. (IME video cards tend to run as hot if not a little hotter than the cpu). what size case do you have? what hardware is stuffed into it? how many case fans (intake & exhaust, and size)? Are your psu cables routed to allow airflow, or just stuffed in there. and lastly, what are your other temps (cpu,mobo, etc)?
Old February 7th, 2010, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanand View Post
After Witcher which I played 2 mths ago(which played fine), pretty much all games seem to freeze every few secs. They unfreeze in 5 secs or so and 10 secs later same old dance. They freeze even while accessing menu. Recently I played Risen and am WORKIN' on Borderlands with freeze issues on both games. Irrespective of graphics settings(settings maxed out or lowest possible settings dont seem to matter) I have this problem. I tried games in both vista and xp with same result. I did everything I can imagine to correct it but couldnt.
I updated drivers, directx, defrag, registry, temp cleaning, even cleaned out my mobo, ram and gpu. I even installed OS on a different HDD to rule out HDD problem. I am totally stumped. Please help.
My specs:
amd athlon x2 6000(@ 3ghz)
asus MVN VM HDMI
4 gb 667 ram
8800gt nvidia @512ram. I guess that's it.

Thank you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.