Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:23 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Windows mail not receiving mail

A friend can't receive mail but can send. She needs a valid email addy to submit resumes. When she clicks on to reply to a job in craig's list she gets a message that the mail is not properly installed. It's been installed several times by me and her walk throughs with her IP. It always works once and then stops working properly. She has spent hours with her ip techs on the phone and just can't resolve the problem. She uses AVG anti virus and I have disabled it but no help. I want to uninstall it but she is reluctant to leave her PC unprotected. She is using vista and a linsky's router. Had the PC professionally checked out and is in top shape according to the techs. I and she would much appreciate any suggestions on how to resolve this problem.
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:28 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Elsie. Are you sure that she is having a problem with Windows Mail? The reason I ask is because Windows Mail is part of the Vista operating system and cannot be uninstalled or reinstalled as you have suggested.
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:06 AM

Yes I am sure. What I meant was we removed and added the account several times.
Old September 11th, 2009, 02:44 AM
CTH Subscriber

I see and can you confirm that the problem actually is that she cannot receive mail but can send it? It sounds like the opposite if she cant reply to an ad on Craigs List.
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:41 AM

When you try to reply to a job on Craigs list as well as on most job searching sites, the site attemps to open a valid email of yours that you send the message to. That would of course be outlook, windows mail, ect and not Yahoo or Gmail. So she just gets a pop up box saying that the mail box is not correctly installed or something like that. I used to get an error when sending here a message saying the mail could not be delivered smtp server or something 0x800ccc79 error I think.
Old September 11th, 2009, 04:53 AM
CTH Subscriber

I went here and clicked on the email address. Windows Mail opened a new message to be sent to the address listed in the ad. If this is when she is getting an error message, it means she cannot send email.

Now that we have narrowed down her problem, can you now please check with her and post the exact error message. An error regarding a mail box is not being correctly installed would indicate she is using another email utility. It's not a Windows Mail error.
Old September 11th, 2009, 07:07 PM

The craigslist link you posted was flagged. Normally when you click a reply to a craigslist post your valid email opens up a page to compose a letter on. Many sites do that when you click on a contact us link. They will only accept a valid email. Your default valid email launches. In my case outlook express launches. In my friends case windows mail should launch. Today she can send mail, she can receive mail, but nothing at all happens when she clicks a reply button on Craig's list. I am wondering since this is probably a java script action on the craigslist site that her java script is not enabled or something. I noticed the other day that Sun java prompted to offer an update. I clicked it to take the update and nothing happened. Do you think it's related to the problem? Thanks so much for your time.
Old September 12th, 2009, 12:37 AM
CTH Subscriber

It was just a regular email addy in the link I posted. Sorry Elsie but as I said, an error regarding a mail box is not being correctly installed would indicate she is using another email utility. It's not a Windows Mail error. I'm wondering if she is using Windows Live Mail. If so, she really needs contact Windows Live support. See here.