Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 1st, 2022, 09:55 PM

Trading Places

Is there a way to move an SCSI HDD with XP to the IDE postion without XP performing endless reboot loops?
Old February 3rd, 2022, 03:36 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
What do you mean IDE position??Do you want to hook up a SCSI drive to IDE? Will need an adapter and an IDE cable?

Or are you talking about changing the BIOS Setup from SCSI to IDE?

SCSI drives read data differently than an IDE drive, not sure exactly what your trying to do?
Old February 4th, 2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
What do you mean IDE position??Do you want to hook up a SCSI drive to IDE? Will need an adapter and an IDE cable?

Or are you talking about changing the BIOS Setup from SCSI to IDE?

SCSI drives read data differently than an IDE drive, not sure exactly what your trying to do?
When I'm thru setting up XP on this drive I want to move it to the IDE connector. Currently it is connected, via a ribbon cable, to a RAID controller card. I want to eventually take it off the RAID controller card and move it to the IDE slave position connector. Because it's currently connected to the RAID card it's listed in the registry under the subkey SCSI. Not sure how XP will react if I move it to the IDE connector. This is all within the same computer and these are PATA drives. Hope that clears it up.
Old February 7th, 2022, 07:21 PM

Do you plan on booting from this drive as a SLAVE?

If you remove the RAID controller card, then physically set the drive to SLAVE and connect to the IDE connector. Boot and immediately get into BIOS Setup.

Depending on the BIOS, find where the drives show up, then change the boot order, also change from SCSI to IDE save and exit, the computer should then boot from the SLAVE drive.

Since the RAID Card is gone the BIOS should then see that and not load drivers for it.

If you are going to boot from the SLAVE drive why make it slave and not master? Do you have another drive that you will be booting from.
Old February 7th, 2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Do you plan on booting from this drive as a SLAVE?

If you remove the RAID controller card, then physically set the drive to SLAVE and connect to the IDE connector. Boot and immediately get into BIOS Setup.

Depending on the BIOS, find where the drives show up, then change the boot order, also change from SCSI to IDE save and exit, the computer should then boot from the SLAVE drive.

Since the RAID Card is gone the BIOS should then see that and not load drivers for it.

If you are going to boot from the SLAVE drive why make it slave and not master? Do you have another drive that you will be booting from.
The Raid card isn't going anywhere. I'm just going to move the drive from the raid card to the IDE and the one that is on the IDE now will go to the Raid. Just swapping positions. Was concerned about XP thinking it's been stolen and that it is not where it should be. Because it will change the entries in HKLM_SYSTEM\CuurentControlSet\ENUM\ from being listed under the SCSI subkey to the IDE subkey I thought that might make XP go into the endless reboot thing. If not, then it's all good.
Old February 8th, 2022, 02:21 AM

Should correct the registry and the BIOS after boot. Before doing it to be safe, back up your registry.
Old February 9th, 2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Should correct the registry and the BIOS after boot. Before doing it to be safe, back up your registry.
That was my thought too. I thought maybe what I should do is uninstall it (Device Manager) before I shut down, then make the change in positions and then reboot. Hoping that XP will then reinstall it under the IDE subkey. Do you think that will work? One good thing about keeping the 9x series OS's on my computer is I can make changes to XP that XP wouldn't allow and also I can make a complete backup with them too. XP doesn't backup everything.