Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old July 7th, 2018, 04:42 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
DRM issues?

I am trying to transfer music files from an old laptop (win xp sp3) onto my new laptop (win 10). tried via usb then tried burning onto cd.
This did not work, so I connected both laptops via ethernet to home hub and finally managed to connect laptops and put the required music into shared folders.
I can see the files and have tried to move, copy etc the files are showing in VLC, hp media player, windows media player on the new laptop but most wont play. Almost as if they dont exist.

Is there a way to transfer them so I can put them onto discs and mp3 players without having DRM/ASF problems. (vlc raised this problem as win xp never advised the issue just closed the disc then shut down)

Is the issue drm/asf related or is there another way to do this without the original discs. They were loaded on the laptop as back up of the music in case of damage to the discs.

can anyone reccomend a free drm/asf removal tool, I have tried searching but due to poor internet speed this task is becoming tiresome.
Old July 7th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 8 Pro
Hi, what file format are these?
(activate show file extention)
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:01 PM

Hi jtdoom,
cant remember how to do that on win xp and Have only been on win 10 since last night, the files are .wma and are saved as protected in the properties. Just discovered that just now. Is there a way around this?
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:27 PM

On the win 10 laptop in the windows media player under usuage rights it says 'This file is missing media usuage rights'
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:29 PM

There sure is a way, but it's been at least 5 years ago I needed to do this.
There are reliable WMA to MP3 converter apps
I think even audacity could do that.
However, I dimly recall that simply RENAMING the extention to MP3 fixed a type of files we could not play directly. This is worth a try on one or two files.
(use an app like bulkremame if this works.)
When we backed up our CD collections we soon decided on the MP3 format, and that had a reason. (yea, the wma DRM restrictions)
Old July 7th, 2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
On the win 10 laptop in the windows media player under usuage rights it says 'This file is missing media usuage rights'
eerrrmm. I'd have to do research about that. duckduckgo or ecosia.org is our friend.
Old July 7th, 2018, 11:32 PM

Thanks for your help jtdoom,will try you suggestios if I get it resolved I will advise which method worked.
Old July 8th, 2018, 09:01 AM

A search on ecosia.org got me discussions that tell me the message you see is about non-transferred rights (DMR), which is what you suspected.
The internet also told me that some CD players do not recognise WMA. (which I sorta knew)
(One forgets what the problem was after it was solved.)

I also know that for use in CD players a burned disc has to be finalised (which is NOT the default when you drag/copy to CDR) so the backups you made to CDR may not play in a Car CD-player because of that reason.
So, it could be that you have to finalise the CDRs in that XP machine.

Yet another thing, windows media player settings.
I prefer WMP over groove. (I also use VLC, but rarely for music, albeit that works too.)
In the settings I tend to set things to very private (almost no connection to internet allowed, no extra media info, thumbnails, album details, no automated search for media for library building, no automatic addition to libraries, and one can let it check or stop it from getting DMR....
The following could happen.
you do nothing, windows does its thing, WMP does its thing building libraries, and suddenly it has gotten the rights from the internet, et hopla, what did not play suddenly plays.
That too I have read yesterday, but I had encountered it myself too.

I wonder how you'll fix this.
You may have to rip those CD's all over again.
Old July 8th, 2018, 11:15 AM

Oh, it would be good thing to go look at settings anyhow.
One of the defaults is that player will delete music files when you remove them from a playlist or library, and recyclebin won't help to get them back.