Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Installing Windows XP Pro on Network Need Some Advice

Currently we have a 4 workstation and 1 server network at my job and will be upgrading to Windows XP Pro soon. Our current OS on the workstations is Windows 2000 Pro and the server currently runs Windows 2000 Server.

When I upgrade to Windows XP Pro all the computers will be using that version of Windows. Because we unknowningly purchased illegal copies of the Windows programs that we are now using, I felt it was best to purchase legal copies and do a new installation for all the computers.

I'm undecided on how exactly to go about installing XP Pro on the network. I don't know if the best way to go is install the new OS on the server and then do each of the workstations?

Also I've never used the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard before and am a little unclear as to how to use this tool to the best advantage. I did purchase a book for Windows XP Professional but can't seem to find any advice on how to proceed with the installation on a network.

My computers at home currently run the XP Home Edition and I have some experience with working with that OS but have none at all with the Pro version. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-psu014