Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old August 23rd, 2017, 07:51 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Angry HELP Printer sharing in HomeGroup

I have a Windows 7 desktop computer with an HP printer connected to it with a USB cable.. I have a laptop with Windows 10 I need to be able to print to the printer...
I had it all set up and has been working for years.. last month the computer crashed and the computer tech had to restore the computer back to factory...I have a Home group set up and both computers are showing on the network.. but I have tried 6 times to get the printer to set up.. I am trying to set up a Canon MP560 printer.. It continually is telling me it cannot find the computer... I am lost at this point as to why it will not work now..

Need some help as to what to look for.. I have the printer set up on Windows 7 to share ... no matter what I do, it will not find the computer anymore..

thanks
Barbara
Old August 24th, 2017, 04:12 PM

Why are you using this printing device as a "shared" printer on your computer? I ask because according to the MP560 specs, that MFP (multifunction printer) supports network printing. That is, by far, the best solution when multiple computers need to print to the same printer.

Instead of connecting the printer to a computer, you connect the printer to your wireless router, either via wireless or via USB (if your router supports USB). Your printer's manual shows how to do this.

The advantages are many.
1. The printer can be centrally located anywhere there is network access - and off of your desk.
2. The printer does not have to be tethered to any "host" computer. This means no computer needs to be up and running for others to print. It also means no host computer will be bogged down when others print.
3. Sharing does not have to be enabled on any computer - this is better for security.
4. Everyone can print at the same time and the printer's built in print server will sort out the print jobs.
I would urge you to consider networking that printer, if for no other reason than to increase security of your (the host) computer.

In the meantime, did you install the printer drivers on your computer after the factory restore?