Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old November 9th, 2015, 02:17 PM

Windows 10/8 Installing VERY slowly (approx 1% every 30 minutes)

Hey everybody, I wonder if you can help? I've recently formatted my drive after getting an error which prevented the previous Windows 10 install from booting on this system. There were a few partitions including a 16gb Acer repair partition that did nothing on alt+f10 and Windows 8 and 10 repair discs seemingly couldn't fix the problem.

I used Windows repair to get into the command prompt and formatted everything on the drive using diskpart.
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
ACTIVE
FORMAT FS=NTFS QUICK
ASSIGN

Here's my main issue: On restart and getting back into Windows Installer, making my way through to the installation location page, I delete the only remaining item from the list (as windows wont let me install to it) hit new and Windows does it's thing creating the appropriate partitions. Now the install starts normally until it hits around 19% of the 'Getting files ready for installation' section and then proceeds to load at around 1% every 10-30 minutes. I've left it running overnight and achieved around 54% during this section. It seems to me that the disc will spin up for a few moments, then stop with the hdd making a kind of 'squeak'. I've tried a legit copy of Windows 10 on disc, an .iso image from the disc on USB and a windows 8 .iso I found online.

Is this a hardware issue or could I be doing something wrong? RAM, hdd? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

System specs:
Acer Aspire e5 175
Intel HD Graphics 4400
1tb Serial ATA
Intel Core i5 1.7GHz
4gb DDR3L-SDRAM
Windows 8.1 64bit
Old November 9th, 2015, 07:49 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
might want to run a harddrive diagnostic utility to see if the drive is going bad. you can get it at your harddrives manufacturers website. might also have a smart test in your bios.