Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old April 5th, 2008, 02:44 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Lightbulb BlueTooth ... help please

I have recently bought two Bluetooth USB Dongles .... is it possible to set them up between two computers (1 on each) - one has ADSL connection and the other has no internet connection. Can the second one then go on-line or will it only allow transfer of files etc. As my modem is not wireless I was hoping that this solution would work ?

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Its not the ideal solution to internet sharing, but it is possible. What make and model BT dongles did you get? What software did it come with?
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM

Smile

They are just standard BT (USB) dongles ... they come with an install disk and have a range of 100 mtrs, built in antena etc. Thanks for prompt reply.
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:50 PM

Hello Luckdog - I'm trying to understand 'how' this is going to work, but you need to provide some more information -

Frist, the computer attached to your DSL broadband connection - are you able to connect to the internet? I'm assuming so if you're communicating w/ the forum via that computer -

Second, does the other computer have a network card (wired, wireless, or both)? Also, are the USB 'Bluetooth' devices just for radio transmission or do they also have 'built-in' network adapters? As you likely know, 'Bluetooth' by itself is used mainly to connect your 'personal' computer network, i.e. mouse, keyboard, printer, etc.

Please provide additional comments - good luck!

But just as a postscript, if your other computer has a network card, then a router would be the best option.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Thanks Giradman for your reply ... I think I will stick with the more conventional method of getting a wireless router.
Old April 7th, 2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
Thanks Giradman for your reply ... I think I will stick with the more conventional method of getting a wireless router.
Good idea. It should be much simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giradman View Post
Hello Luckdog - I'm trying to understand 'how' this is going to work, but you need to provide some more information -

Frist, the computer attached to your DSL broadband connection - are you able to connect to the internet? I'm assuming so if you're communicating w/ the forum via that computer -

Second, does the other computer have a network card (wired, wireless, or both)? Also, are the USB 'Bluetooth' devices just for radio transmission or do they also have 'built-in' network adapters? As you likely know, 'Bluetooth' by itself is used mainly to connect your 'personal' computer network, i.e. mouse, keyboard, printer, etc.

Please provide additional comments - good luck!

But just as a postscript, if your other computer has a network card, then a router would be the best option.
giradman - There is a BT profile that allows you to affectively create a network connection, which you can route through the host machine to get internet access. I've actually done this with a BT enabled PDA running windows mobile and been able to get internet access from the PDA.

But as I said above, a wireless connection is a simpler and most likely more reliable option.
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1p View Post
Good idea. It should be much simpler.

giradman - There is a BT profile that allows you to affectively create a network connection, which you can route through the host machine to get internet access. I've actually done this with a BT enabled PDA running windows mobile and been able to get internet access from the PDA.

But as I said above, a wireless connection is a simpler and most likely more reliable option.
Z1P - thanks for the explanation - although I've done some reading on BT, have not gotten into using the technology yet, but probably will in the near future - do enjoy a 'wireless' optical mouse though!
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM

BT can be very simple to set up. Such as a wireless earpiece (which I couldn't live without) or a wireless keyboard or mouse. Some setups can be a little trickier, like using activesync to sync a phone/PDA over BT. The problem there is you need the correct BT stack on your windows PC in order for windows mobile 6 to work.

Then there are issues that vendors choose to create. I can't create a network connection over BT with my phone because Verizon has chosen to cripple the BT stack on the phone.

The good and bad of BT is the flexibility of the BT stack. It allows BT to grow with new devices, but it also allows companies like verizon to only provide partial functionality.