Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old November 15th, 2015, 05:30 PM

W10 Can Not Access Home Shares [SOLVED]

Okay (and I am not good with networking since XP days), I took a computer that was on 8.1 Home and brought it to 10 Home. Other than the junk I had to fix (and still trying to remove the lock screen) I realized that other computers can access the shares on 10, but 10 no longer accessing any other shares. Not XP Pro, not Vista Pro, not the 7 that is hanging on by a thread. Before upgrade few days back, everything was fine for over a year.

So, this can not see anyone else (but ping is fine) but no one else can see 10.

Running the troubleshooter, this is what pops up: Windows Sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing.

I played with settings but had to change something on every computer just to make it work.

Firewalls and any other such programs all disabled.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

EDITED: This is what M$ chat has told me from going from 8.1 Home to 10 Home:
the reason why you' re not able to view your files from Vista is because of the Homegroup network sharing. Since your windows 10 is a home edition it can't actually share all your other files in Vista. WHat you can do to enable that is to upgrade to windows 10 pro. This is the difference between windows 10 home and windows 10 pro. network sharing can only be done through the windows 10 pro and not with the windows 10 home

These even though Vista can access 10's shares???

Last edited by CyberTrek; November 16th, 2015 at 01:54 AM.
Old November 15th, 2015, 06:28 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Right click Start then Control Panel, then Network & Sharing Center> Advance Sharing settings

Is Network Discovery turned on?

Homegroup connections

Windows managing?

All Networks
Are you using Public Folders to share?
Old November 15th, 2015, 06:41 PM

Everything is as it always has been. Discovering and on.
Public shares, nope. I do not use those defaulted folders. Only folders I personally share. Vista can access them and write fine. 10 cannot access anything on Vista.
Old November 15th, 2015, 07:49 PM

Temporarily solved:

In W10 Home command prompt using admin rights:
"dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"
then
"sfc /scannow"
reboot

"Fixed" W10, for now. Either M$ was lying, not knowledgeable in their OS, or the tech foretold a future of 10 Home...
Old November 16th, 2015, 02:11 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Obviously that fixed a Windows component store corruption and any corruption errors that may prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing. Once of DISM’s more powerful features is it’s ability to repair a Windows installation and various corrupt files using source media.

Then sfc (system file checker) can repair any operating system files that are corrupted.

So I think one of your operating files was corrupt, fixed, and now your problem is solved.

Anyways glad you got it sorted out.
Old November 16th, 2015, 03:34 AM

SFC did nothing on its own at first, but then I found that particular command for DISM but found it had to work, in my case, with SFC afterwards.