Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 18th, 2005, 02:54 AM

computer randomly restarting...no error messages

My computer just seems to restart for no apparent reason. doesnt give any error messages. i could be playing a game or just chatting online and it will just restart..as if someone turned it off. no messages pop up when its going down or even when it comes back up. I dont know if its a hardware issue or what.
Old July 18th, 2005, 03:54 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Hello adamd and Welcome to CTH!

Your system restarting for no apparent reason can be caused by a host of different issues. One of which may be overheating, overclocking or something shorting out and making the power supply restart itself. Your system RAM could also be the culprit, reseating it sometimes fixes the problem. Drivers could also play a role in the infrequent restarts, updating them sometimes helps. It can even be either a memory module gone bad or your motherboard has also gone bad. I'm sure there are many other factors out their. So...

Let's wait until the real pro's come by and analyze your post and asks you the right troubleshooting questions. This isn't really my cup of tea. But in the meantime, you could start helping the great volunteers (CTH's Members & Staff) by doing some troubleshooting and going to: Start> Right Click "My Computer"> Properties> Advanced> Startup and Recovery, Click Settings> System Failure and Untick "Automatically Restart". See if that helps. If the problem persists, do a Spy/Ad/Mal-ware scan using Ad-Aware, Spybot and Windows AntiSpyware.

You should also post your system specification.

Good Luck and hang on tight for the ride!

Last edited by JimmyLoveNYC; July 18th, 2005 at 03:59 AM.
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Covered all the bases huh Jimmy LOL.

A mouthful in a paragraph.

'tis kewl.
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:55 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
As said could be memory. I would first suspect it. Go HERE download and run this Windows Memory test, if you memory fails any of the test it will tell you. Instructions for using is on the page. Need to rule out memory before going on.Do you have XP SP1 or XP SP2?????? Right click "My Computer" then to "Properties" General TAB tells you.
Old July 18th, 2005, 05:20 AM

O/S: Windows XP Home
Quote:
Covered all the bases huh Jimmy LOL.

A mouthful in a paragraph.
Nahhh pwrmngr.

Just the prelim.

Just paving the way for your experts to come-in and do real dirty work! lol

(a minute passes by)

You see what I'm talking about...
Murf doesn't waste a minute!

I'm sure it's safe for me to say...Good Job Murf!
Old July 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM

LOL yes I do see, Murf is pretty quick and on the ball.

Thanx Murf