Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 7th, 2005, 09:02 PM

Upgraded PC won't load Windows

Ok so this should not really be an issue, BUT.... I recentlly installed a new motherboard, processor and memory. Abit board, AMD 64 cpu and 1gb ddr ram... my problem is that I am trying to load an operating system onto a fresh hard drive, I set the bios to boot from a cd, and put my windows xp cd in... things working fine, it is running through the intial setup.... then it gets to the point where it wants to reboot for the first time... and it does, but then it will not start correctly. It tells me that the config sys file is missing or corrupted. Now could this be cause by very new hardware and an XP cd that is from about 2001? it is a very old version. I can't understand why if I have a blank hard drive, yes it asked to format the drive first, and new hardware it won't load an operating system. I am running out of ideas.... please help!!!
thank you so much in advance for any information you can provide!!!!

Brian
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:04 PM

Thumbs up

i heard that AMD 64 cpus dont work to well with 32 bit operating systems - you probably need to buy windows xp 64 edition
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:28 AM

Talking

Actually i am now up and running jusr fine. It was an issue of sequence. I had to load windows from my dvd drive. XP needs a driver to support my other burner, and it wasn't writing the files correctly. I Made my dvd drive the master, and removed the other drive, then cleared the CMOS and powered up. A little while later I am up and running. Downloaded all the updates for Windows, and every thing works flawlessly now. Tip of the day.... if you upgrade your computer like I did, you have to reset your cable modem before it will work. Other wise you spend 15 minutes on hold just to hear that from the guy at Road Runner.

Brian