Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Question using quack quack to login

hello,

i used to be able to login to my other computer drives, which they are on my own network with the following run command:

\\computername\c$

since i updated the last two updates from microsoft, i now am not able to do this, i get prompted with the gues account and password (guess is background, meaning i can't change the name).

it use to prompt me for account info, and i use to put in Administrator or users in the administrators group and password to finish the connection between my computer and c or d or any drive that i requested for.

can someone help me out here.....
my laptop is windows xp pro
and the desktop is windows xp home.

ra2833
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Welcome

Are you sure this is the fault of the Updates?
You could try uninstalling the updates via Add/Remove or System Restore if you have an appropriate restore point.

Also, does it give the same result to a single share folder name rather than a drive?
\\computername\sharename
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:28 PM

yes, i did try to login to a shared folder and i still get the guess account login.

the guess account is disabled on both machines... and when i enabled guess, i still couldn't change the name and guess wouldn't work...
Old May 17th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Quote:
Are you sure this is the fault of the Updates?
You could try uninstalling the updates via Add/Remove or System Restore if you have an appropriate restore point.
Could you try that?

Also, I believe XP requires the same User Account on each PC. Do you have that setup?