Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:23 AM

He's back.

Greta recently helped me to solve my RPC code problem and I'm now able to print on one of our network printers, however I can't print on my primary network printer. I deleted the printer in the control panels and now it won't let me add it through the Add Printer Wizard. I normally access this printer through another printer, but the wizard doesn't see or find this printer on the other computer when I run a browse function. Any words of wisdom for this technolackie?
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Are you receiving any error messages or what exactly happens when you try to add the network printer? Is the printer that you're trying to add directly connected to the computer on which you're trying to add it?
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretaP
Are you receiving any error messages or what exactly happens when you try to add the network printer? Is the printer that you're trying to add directly connected to the computer on which you're trying to add it?
The message I receive is "windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was type incorrectly or specified printer has lost its connection to the server. Oddly enough, I just tried to print a word doc and when it brought up the print window I clicked on "add printer" and it brought up the Add Printer Wizard and this time it at least showed the correct printer on the computer I'm networked to.
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:56 PM
CTH Subscriber

Is the printer connected to a print server?
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretaP
Is the printer connected to a print server?
Yes, I believe that the printer is hooked up to a print server. Is a print server different than a regular or main server?
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:54 PM
CTH Subscriber

A print server is like a router or switch for network printers.....the printer(s) are connected to the print server's parallel or USB ports instead of being directly connected to a computer's parallel or USB port. If you had a printer connected to one computer, and were using Microsoft's File and Printer Sharing in order to share the printer with the computers on the network, then the computer to which the printer is connected would have to be powered on in order for the printer to be shared..........with a print server, you would connect it to, for example, the router, and thus could share the printer without having to have one computer always powered on in order to share.

You could try using the Windows Standard Port Monitor to configure the print server (although the article specifically mentions Windows 2000, the Standard Port Monitor is also available in XP). I wish the MSKB article was a little more detailed in regards to setting up a printer using the SPM, as I don't have a print server or a printer with ethernet installed in order to do a run-through so that I can provide you with a walk-through. Basically, to be able to choose "Create new port" in the Add Printer Wizard, you would have to select "Local printer attached to this computer" and not "A network printer....". When you have clicked in the radio button beside "Create a new port", use the drop-down picklist to select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and key in the IP address for the print server.

I'll see if I can find out more information (READ walk-through) for setting up a print server using the SPM.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Before reviewing Windows' SPM, it occurred to me that we recently installed a number of Windows upgrades on the other computer and my computer. As a result of the upgrade I was encountering many problems because of Windows' built in firewall which I have disabled. I decided to disable the firewall feature on the other computer and presto..I was finally able to print on the shared printer again.

I'm planning on purchasing a separate firewall program. We currently are running Norton System works, so it seems reasonable to purchase Nortons firewall. Can you comment on Norton's firewall, Zone Alarm or any other firewalls?
Greta, thanks again for helping me with my problems.
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

You're very welcome for the help.

The only firewall that I can comment on is ZoneAlarm, as that is the only one that I have ever used (which should tell you that I am quite happy with it). You could, perhaps, start a thread in the Cyber Safety forum asking persons their opinions/recommendations for a software firewall.