Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:57 AM

problems with memory usage

ok well im new here and hopefully u can help me out. recently my computer's memory usage has been acting VERY weird. my memory usage climbs anywhere from 50,000k all the way up to 400,000k on my explorer.exe and svchost.exe. my computer lags so bad and the only way to fix this is to either close explorer.exe or run memturbo i try to run games and they run fine but when i close them i check my memory usage in task manager under performance and it says under avilable arround 40,000-50,000k and i check under tasks and theres nothing near that much using it alone or combined. im lost i dont really wanna format again cause it seems i have to format every god damn week. last week the hardrive died and now this and the week before my registry got corrupt.

the specs of my computer are below and its only 5 months old

amd athlon 2600+ barton
radeon 9600pro
120gig maxtor hardrive (just replaced last week)
512ddr pc 2700 kingston value ram
windows xp without sp1a (havint had to time to install)
abit nf7-s rev 3.0 motherboard

thanks and hopefully u can help me very soon or im just gunna format again

i think im jinked cause i allways have a problem. and i think im doing everything right.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:15 AM
CTH Subscriber

SP1 will solve some of your probs.I suggest you get that first and start over
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Well i ran a memory test that i got from microsoft cant remember the name of it but i ran it 4 times and everything passes so i decided to format. well i just finished formating and so far everything looks like back to normal my explorer is only 15k and my svchost is only 18k so i conclude that it must have been my windows that was the problem. im going to read through the sticky and follow that to get everything running smooth. im downloading sp1a now :-D.

thanks for your help antho i didint read it before i formated i apreciate u trying.

Brandon